FAC Shotgun

Maidment78

I think the 'closed' aspect he's refering to is that he doesn't have the Clay Pigeon condition on his certificate, mine was like that when i first got it too, even though its supposed to be put on automatically :rolleyes: It'll be interesting to see if its been put on my renewal (if it ever arrives! :lol: )

Mark

Mine never had it despite going through many renewals and me forgetting to request "clays". Had to ask for it in the end and was told over the phone that one had to request it but once one had done so they would add it without question. Their definition of automatic is different to mine.

Charlie

It says the 12bore shotgun and ammo shall be used for shooting vermin and for zeroing on ranges or land deemed suitable by chief of police over which holder has lawfull authority to shoot.So every time i want to shoot on land its got to be cleared if it has not been before.

Edited by silverhawk

It says the 12bore shotgun and ammo shall be used for shooting vermin and for zeroing on ranges deemed suitable by chief of police over which holder has lawfull authority to shoot.So every time i want to shoot on land its got to be cleared if it has not been before.

I presume the above should read land instead of ranges. I think a kind word in your FLM's ear pointing out the guidelines is needed. Yours is the first time I have come across territorial conditions for a shotgun !!. Perhaps a word with BASC would be in order.

Well I decided to give it a go so application off, asked for the FAC shot and also a .243 so with luck I will get one!

All I need now is the wife to wake up and say 'Hey, why don't you go an get yourself a nice new gun, treat yourself, you deserve it,,,,'

Now THAT'S some wishful thinking!! :lol:

Good luck :good:

Mark

i have an 8+1 SX3 an it was the same price as the standard! :D

Not now it isn't ;)

As Bleeh said, they do depreciate faster than standard guns (much like FAC Air rifles) so if you can get a condition for it then you could save yourself a few quid by buying second hand.

As far as open/closed tickets, FAC Shotguns "should" be granted as open from the start according to the home office guidelines. This isn't always the case but even an open cert may have conditions that affect not where you can you use it but what you can use it for.

Edited by Colster

• 1 month later...

yeh ime gona send in for a variation soon and get one put on,ime working as a fulltime keeper and do lots and lots of rabbit lamping. and 3 shots arnt enugh. me and 2 other lads went lamping last year on their place and got over 300 rabbits on the snow of the back of the pick up they both had 8 shot m2. ile bare inmind what you said about multi shot and my fao she is realy realy good and had got me and the head keeper of the hook a few times lol

Have two section 1 shotguns;when asked by licensing why I needed a second,I told them the other(20 bore pump)is choked full,and was making a mess of bolting rabbits(too messy to sell)which was true,so required a multi-choke.Was then told that even though shooting rabbits with a shotgun was clearly done by almost everyone,it wasn't deemed 'good reason' to be granted a sect'1 shotgun.My FEO told me to change the wording to that of the 'wildlife and countryside act 1981(?)' and it was granted. :good:

Before anyone asks,I can't sell the 20 bore as it's never been proved.I could give it away,but it's a collectors item.

That's really interesting, I didn't know that! I'm getting a new Benelli M2 and wouldnt mind having on FAC but I was under the impression that on a closed ticket it would be the same as a rifle and not open to be used anywhere I liked.

Land clearance is concerned with the ballistic potential of the ammunition being used. As you would be using the same ammunition in an S1 shotgun as you would in an S2 there is no more danger, therefore S1 shotguns used for vermin/pest control should always have the 'open' condition on (As an S2 gun can automatically used without land restriction). If your FLD puts the 'closed' condition on ask them to justify it ;)

Mark