The one and only George Digweed

Spara Dritto

He did mention that.. "the shot went completly through him!" Like you say, maybe its a little to much lead/size although. If he asked me though, id mearly say he was right with 17 world champion wins to his name!!! haha

Its not just a case of too much shot and to big a pellet, the fact that most of us decoy pigeons within 30yrds, 34g of #5s costing £260 per 1000 is just a bit OTT (just my opinion of course)

Also, as George is sponsored by Gamebore, IF, he did pay for those cartridges, I would hazard a guess he only paid the cost of production.

PS, Its 18 word champion wins ;)

£260 per 1k ! :o Sorry 18 wins :P I have some clear pigeons by game bore 30g no 6 will be using them for decoying although the recoil is pretty high as its a "fairly cheap cartrige" i think? but none the less guess will do the job, do have 1k hull comp x for clays but might see how they do out of interest, been told for decoying they will do fine obviously nothing too far range wise though.

£260 per 1k ! :o Sorry 18 wins :P I have some clear pigeons by game bore 30g no 6 will be using them for decoying although the recoil is pretty high as its a "fairly cheap cartrige" i think? but none the less guess will do the job, do have 1k hull comp x for clays but might see how they do out of interest, been told for decoying they will do fine obviously nothing too far range wise though.

The clear pigeons will be fine mate, I guess you are using the fiber wad ones, which do recoil a bit more than the plastic wad :hmm:

let me say i have been using 30g clear pigeon in fibre just recently;normally i only shoot plas wads;but a few places we shoot have cattle;or farmer just dosn;t like seeing plas wads all over the fields;but i can tell you they kill pigeons crows etc stone dead at 50 yards;i shot 44 pigeons in 2 shoots fri;and sun..using 30g fibre and i am totally shocked at how good these shells are and good price around £42 per 250; and i will be buying a shed load more of them.

let me say i have been using 30g clear pigeon in fibre just recently;normally i only shoot plas wads;but a few places we shoot have cattle;or farmer just dosn;t like seeing plas wads all over the fields;but i can tell you they kill pigeons crows etc stone dead at 50 yards;i shot 44 pigeons in 2 shoots fri;and sun..using 30g fibre and i am totally shocked at how good these shells are and good price around £42 per 250; and i will be buying a shed load more of them.

I bought 1000 Kent velocity, 30g #6 (same cart as the clear pigeon) a little while ago to use decoying, as I had run out of my usual cartridges.

I have to agree with you, I have killed some good high birds, even used them roost shooting and a bit of flighting, I was very impressed with them :yes:

Yes Chris, your correct, they are fibre so like you mentioned they do kick a little more then plastic. I guess I didnt have a great introduction to the game cartriges as I took them to the clay ground to see what they were like and what i could expect on game. The difference was, at the clay ground you shoot 1 cartrige every 30's seconds or so but in the field you may be waiting 15 20 mins between shots so the pain shouldnt grow as bad!! Just cant wait to get out again :)

What chokes are you using there Yickdaz? and is that through a double or semi? lastly, what barrel length you using? aparantly the longer the barrels the slightly less recoil? Im using 28" double, what about you? :good:

Edited by Beretta Italy

What chokes are you using there Yickdaz? and is that through a double or semi? lastly, what barrel length you using? aparantly the longer the barrels the slightly less recoil? Im using 28" double, what about you? :good:

its a miroku mk38: 30in barrells fixed 1/4 and 3/4 choke..

but even shooting the clear pigeon fibre in the quarter choke they still muller them at good ranges :good:

1/4 and 1/2 is all you will ever need thats what i used to have in my beretta; and never changed the chokes but i liked the miroku so much i part exed the beretta; unfortunatley it is fixed choke;but 1/4 first barrel for decoyed birds and the 3/4 is brill for those rangier birds and obviously can just switch the barrel selector over if the first of a pair of clays or pigeon is a long shot

Edited by yickdaz

Buy as many as you can at that price.... Scats country store down my way have put there price up to £51.40 a slab..... used to be alot cheaper than that....

They are a very good cartridge though, and i don't find them to punchy through my SxS.

For normal decoying/pigeon shooting i don't see the need for 34g loads... but each his own.

Years ago i used to like Eley Impax 1oz for over the decoys.... they were a sweet shooting shell.. don't know their current price....

Dave

For normal decoying/pigeon shooting i don't see the need for 34g loads... but each his own.

Dave

me neither as chrispti said not everyone can afford to shoot higher priced shells in quantity unless you are sponsored by gambore then they are free.. so on a budget its the cheaper option we go for but no loss of performance in my opinion.

Looks like I paid the most at 56.00 for a slab of Game Bore clear pigeons! They were just what the shop recomended.

In comparrision how would you say they compare "recoil wise" with other cartriges of that price range? and if any are as good with slightly less recoil what would you advise? :good:

its crazy the price difference from different regions;we get ours from a guy who just sells cartridges;not gun shops they are always more expensive,

but recoil wise i suppose they punch a wee bit not too bad though'

similar priced shells express pigeon special again very good shell..rio 30g good shell and both soft to shoot;its up to the individual what they prefer to shoot end of the day :good:

I found the recoil slightly painful after 100 shots of the gamebore clear pigeons, but i was shooting clays so didnt stop for a rest i was doing sporting on my own to get use to the gun lol took about an hour. If i was pigeon shooting i guess it would be fine with that recoil as you get a rest between birds. Im fairly well built so shouldnt be a problem really! Il look at the ons you mentioned though, thankyou!

Edited by Beretta Italy

1/4 and 1/2 is all you will ever need thats what i used to have in my beretta; and never changed the chokes but i liked the miroku so much i part exed the beretta; unfortunatley it is fixed choke;but 1/4 first barrel for decoyed birds and the 3/4 is brill for those rangier birds and obviously can just switch the barrel selector over if the first of a pair of clays or pigeon is a long shot

They sound good carts yickdaz - I'll give them a go next time I buy some. At the mo I use Eley HB pigeon, 32gr 6.5 around £200/thousand

Never thought of using 34g no5 for pigeons, what are peoples taken on this cartrige? He seems very comfey with the recoil although he is well built..

Hope you all enjoy!

I know this guy is an expert in his field (no pun intended ;) )

BUT have a look, 24mins 14 into the video, (just after he shoots the one coming in over the decoys), He appears to clearly reload 2 cartridges and close the gun then lowers it vertically behind the hide net whilst holding the barrel end. Surely this is not the correct/safe thing to be doing ?