how to measure

darren m

The most accurate way to measure something like this is to use a micrometer. If your just after what choke you have fittd etc, buy a choke gauge, they are cheap as chips. Or take it in to your local gun shop, they will be able to tell you.

Could alway buy a choke gauge off Elma_Fudd, was selling some in the for sale section for £5. I got one to check what my chokes were across the 5 guns I have.

PS whilst this will give a close indication it will not be "perfect" as for that the choke restriction is dependant on the nominal bore of the shotgun, but noramly it is taken as .729" (I think from memory)

Cheers

Trev.

allready got a choke gauge , thats the trouble as it does,nt correspond with my mates gauge , both say different , i think its either 3/4 and full or full and extra full.

there are no marks on the barrel or action to say , except the one you mentioned .729

Darren .

The site Stuart gives is a good little summary. Measure your gun and compare to that.

Otherwise pattern it properly and see what the real choke is irrespective of the constriction.

FWIW an ordinary gun is much more likely to be 3/4 & Full than Full & X-full.

You can't really measure chokes in a numerical format. It's relevant to how and where they start etc. It was in the old days, but now with screw in they make Beretta chokes for a beretta gun. That kind of thing

I suppose you can but they react differently in different barrel lengths, where they start etc.

Could be ********.

D