the politics show east midlands

pegasus bridge

did anyone else watch this? someone from BASC and a very ignorant, anti shooting labour MP for Derbyshire North - Chris Williamson debating the lack of lower age limit for the granting of a SGC - he demonstrated a shocking lack of understanding of pretty much every aspect of firearms laws, use and the illegal use of firearms in this country - i couldnt find it on iplayer (yet) - but it is definitley worth a look - it had me spitting feathers!

- just checked iplayer - and it will be uploaded shortly.

Edited by pegasus bridge

This MP is pretty well known for their views, the BASC man was you local Regional Director Steve Bloomfield.

If this MP is in your area them make an appointment to see him or write to him or e-mail him. For guidance on lobbying you can see the BASC web site here: http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/political-affairs/how-to-lobby-your-mp/

Of course if you are a member of the CA, NGO, SACS or anyone else then get onto your association and ask them to help you lobby this MP.

If, heaven forbid, you are reading this nay you are not a member of at least one of the main shooting / countryside organisations, than after reading this post get you credit or debit card out, get on the web, and join one of the associations!

David

did anyone else watch this? someone from BASC and a very ignorant, anti shooting labour MP for Derbyshire North - Chris Williamson debating the lack of lower age limit for the granting of a SGC - he demonstrated a shocking lack of understanding of pretty much every aspect of firearms laws, use and the illegal use of firearms in this country - i couldnt find it on iplayer (yet) - but it is definitley worth a look - it had me spitting feathers!

Hmmm, That pretty much goes for every other politician these days then. And not just when i comes to shooting affairs. But yes it shows how very blissfully ignorant these people can be when it comes to legal gun ownership in this country. Whilst at the same time avoiding the real issue of the use of illegally held firearms in crime. :no:

ATB Pat

unfortunatley (well - fortunatley really) i dont live in his constituency - i am totally shocked at just how blindly ignorant he was - he clearly has a huge anti shooting agenda at the cost of an open mind. i think anyone who he represents who either shoots ; or is just not pig ignorant should be concerned that they are being represented by him. (i'm a fully paid up BASC member btw)

according to his wikipedia page he is a member of LACS! - its all starting to making sense..

an mp, bleating on about banning private firearms ownership on the basis of 'protecting the public' - when actually its clearly being driven by his stance on bloodsports.

Edited by pegasus bridge

I have just had my 12th birthday and have been shooting 20 bore shotguns for about 6 months i am also a sgc holder and live in Derbyshire. I am posaibly one of the nine certificate holders mentioned on the programe.

I have just watched the politics show on bbc iplayer and i see no reason why young people shoudent have sgc. I truly enjoy the sport and look forward

to shooting at weekends with my dad because i sometimes beat him at clay pigeon.

It seems to me the politician did not realy have a clue about the difference between a shotgun certificate and a firearms certificate.

Belive it or not, not all of us are mad junior kids that want to run around like headless chickens with a gun like Raol Moat.

I wish some politicians would concentrate on issues that really matter and leave us kids to enjoy a sport in the company of friends and adults.

Just my opinion as a junior shooter and would love your thoughts. :good:

J

Exactly,

The fact you have a SGC shows very clearly that you are a well balanced, responsible young person, because as we all know, if oyu were not, you would not have been granted your certificate.

The ignorance of these MP's who rant on about their OWN belief as opposed to representing their constituents is maddening!

David

after thinking about it - Chris Williamson's objections on age for a SGC holder are clearly much more to do with his stance on bloodsports (as a LACS supporter) than anything else, he is just using the opportunity to attempt to curtail lawful activity that he simply does not like - i wonder if all of those people in his area are aware that his stance is such? could BASC mailshot them?... just an idea ...

i am simply a young adult enjoying a sport with my dad which some politicians seem to think is wrong and dangerous ?!?!?

They seem to liken shooting certificates to a fishing licence and i think more kids have probably been seriously injured or drowned fishing than have been injured in shooting related accidents. Can someone provide any stats as they just seem to think shooting is so dangerous.

J

Am I so wrong to enjoy the sport with my dad ?????? !!!!!???????!!??

I feel somewhat disappointed with the opinions of the members of parliament and if they feel that taking my shotgun certificate away will make the country safer then I truly believe they are very wrong.

J

Haven't finished watching it yet, but it is laughable.

The guy from BASC is doing a great job, the other guy is just clasping at straws and hes amazing idea for a public register of firearms certificate holders is just shocking. Maybe they should also bring out a google earth pugin for it so crimanls can get exact geographic locations of where guns are kept.

So glad he isn't my MP :)

Nice one mate watched it now

BBC unbiased? do me a lemon!!!

and that Chris bloke sorry I refuse to listen to the ram-belling of someone who looks like they are on meth!

talk about talking ********!

I love to see some one beat him with a cricket bat or golf club if he got his own way!

My kids have access to lethal weapons there are bread knifes in the draw and my car keys are not under

lock and key both 4x4s "lethal weapons" they are.

They have more chance of getting them then my spas and other rifle and shotguns

spare keys are WELL hidden and the others never leave me.

Jamlad if they take your SGC stop going to school get drunk a lot etc

mix alcohol and cars= lethal weapon,

body spray and fag lighter= flame thrower.

and that farmer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't give him any FAC/SGC.

CHRIS WILLIAMSON YOU ARE CLEARLY A **** WHO TALKS ******** NOW **** OFF

AND PLAY WITH SOME KIDS LIKE YOUR FRIEND THOMAS!

I dont think by dad will be very happy if i get drunk and stop going to school but i agree with your opinions.

J

i think the real moral to the story - that we should all be taking notice of - is we need to stand up and fight this ignorance so well demonstrated by Chris Williamson - being indifferent or apathetic to this will end with us all getting our sport curtailed.