hard mouthed lab

aister

i have a lab that is hard mouthed, not serious, but hard enough that most of the birds he retrieves has 2 holes where his eye teeth has punctured the skin and brused the meat. i havn't ever lost a bird because of him. does anyone have any tips i could try or any suggestions. he is 3 years old and has two seasons under his belt.

he is pretty hard on the canvas dummies, occasionaly puncturing them with his teeth. the two things i can think of that has made him hard mouthed is he was a year old when i got him and i think the last owners let him play with plastic bottles and the other thing was the dummies i initialy trained him with was the hard rubber dummies from the launcher, i think they were so slippy he had to bite down on them hard to keep hold.

very enthusiastic and not put off with anything. i wouldn't say he was soft natured but i wouldn't he was hard either. he doesn't like being told off and is very biddable but he doesn't tuck tail and run if you raise your voice if you know what i mean. he does get very exited say for example if two of us is shooting geese together and we drop 4 or 5 i usually pick them all up bar 1 and let him fetch it otherwise he tends to run in circles not sure which one to pick up first, i am hopeing that will steady with age as he is still young for his age.

I have a 3yr old lab dog was keen to prevent any hard mouthing from an early age. When playing I regularly put my hand into his mouth repeating the command 'gently' to him.He seemed to grasp that anything other than a soft hold may result in a firm NO! I repeated the command 'Gentle' in a firm voice when ever he returned a bird of any description to really instill the soft mouth.

so far so good.

hope that helps

fudd

To get my dogs soft mouthed I would not give them anything hard to bite on such as bones or wood or even rubber. I just got them to retrieve a sponge with either a rabbit skin or pheasant wings wrapped around it. This worked well for me on lab, springers and lurchers. I can not see how letting them retrieve something hard such as a rabbit skin wrapped around wood could make them soft mouthed when it would encourage them to bite hard. The point with the sponge is that they don't.

Not meaning to knocking your method, and if it worked for you it worked. Just could not understand the methodology behind it.?

ATB Steve

the way i looked at it was if its hard to bite down on it will think twice about doing it. never tryed the sponge way we all have little tricks that works for us .sorry if i come across has being sharp.next time a dog comes in with hard mouth i mite try the sponge way cheers phil

i tried that, he was doing fine till one broke and he ate it, now he thinks they are for eating!!! he doesn't see it as training like when we are useing dummies.

use rotten eggs did this with a young lab years ago they learn quickly to be gentle :good: i have a cocker who got spurred by a cock pheasant a few years ago and now every cock he picks if its a runner he kills before he brings it back to me and i cant stop it (he only does it on cocks not hens or partridge) Edited by cocker3

i have a lab that is hard mouthed, not serious, but hard enough that most of the birds he retrieves has 2 holes where his eye teeth has punctured the skin and brused the meat. i havn't ever lost a bird because of him. does anyone have any tips i could try or any suggestions. he is 3 years old and has two seasons under his belt.

My only tip is put him in a dogs home and get a decent dog,an english springer spaniel is the one.

Similar to the idea of wrapping a can of fizzy drink in rabbit skin and shaking it up; throw it then send him for it - when he punctures the can he'll get a fright. Was going to suggest it earlier hence my questions about his enthusiasm and nature, but I'm still not sure about it - I would be concerned about the possibility of putting him off retrieving altogether.

The fact he brings back runners alive, I think this one needs to be seen to be resolved - I would be off to see an experienced trainer.

Ok, when my GWP was a pup he grabed the odd rabbit around our grounds and totally squished them, i mean realy "squished". I got him out of it by giving him only rock hard frozen Rabbits only for a whole period of his training and i can tell you it worked for me i have yet to find a mark on anything (err other than foxes etc). Do not let him have anything partially thawed or fully thawed, just rock hard! :good: