Risk Assessments

Hi Guys

Can anyone suggest were i can obtain a risk assessment that i could use/alter for the above shooting.

Working for a Housing company i have a feral problem but H&S dept wont let me sghoot with out a Risk Assessment and basically dont know were to start

Cheers Baz

a risk assesment is something that you carry out on site, outlinning any risks that may be present, and what you can do to minimize them, hence the name risk assesment, although your be able to google it to get an idea of the wording, it needs you to be site specific

ie,

area where roosting pigeons are is close to public footpath/housing/shops (deleate as neccessary)

to limit any dangers I will put hazard tape up around area, put up signs to inform public, only shoot at night,

they will probably want a method statement too, self explanatory really, a description of how you will carry out the culling

use a torch man to light up each feral, use hollow point pellets only to help minimise ricochets,bag each bird up as its shot and clean any blooded area with a cleaning solution such as ORNIKIL,

maybe only shoot between the hours of xxxhrs to xxxhrs

and they might then also want to see your waste disposal form/certificate, for transferring culled pigeons to an incinarator

having a job like that offered to you sounds great, until you realise they will probably want it done like a proffessional pest control company, lots and lots of paperwork, dont forget you'll need to inform the police, and have full insurance,

and be sure, if the $hit hits the fan, they will come after you

they may also want to see a chrono certificate to prove you rifle is within legal limits

good luck

Edited by stubby

google risk assesments, and it should come up with some sort of form, just answer all the questions on that form, and it shows you have considered the h + s asspects of doing it. and the risk assesments just keep it on file so if you get inspected you can show you have done one and that if you take resonable procautions the risk is not great

google risk assesments, and it should come up with some sort of form, just answer all the questions on that form, and it shows you have considered the h + s asspects of doing it. and the risk assesments just keep it on file so if you get inspected you can show you have done one and that if you take resonable procautions the risk is not great

copying something from the internet and filling in blanks, will only show you havent done a proper job :no:

Good Old BASC to the rescue.

Plenty of infomation and forms that you can download and fill in yourself >Here<

It's a reasonable form but I'd change the second column to "What might be damaged".

"Who might be harmed" is really just a subset of what might be damaged.

A risk assessment is just that. You do a mental risk assessment every time you take a shot (or should) backstops, ricochet, damage to backstops, line of sight etc.

Just think of every single thing that could go wrong (HAZZARD)

The likelihood of it happening (LEVEL OF RISK)

Who or what is at risk (you, public, other workers, buildings, cars etc)

Everything possible you can do to minimize the level of the risk (RISK REDUCTION)

Below is the Risk reduction formula as set out by the HSE, this is what would be used in court to establish that you have taken all precaution (practicable means) not to harm persons or property.

When working out the formula take into consideration, RISK v TIME, COST AND EFFORT.

Ie, is shooting the most cost effective and time saving solution, given the associated hazards involved?

E should be the first course of action and P being the last resort

E (eradicate the risk)

R (reduce the risk)

I (isolate the risk)

C (control the risk)

P (protect from the risk)

Take your time and just do the best you can. Once you have one it can be adapted to suit different sites and situations.

As Stubby says, they may also ask for a method statement and even an environmental impact assessment.

I hope this helps and have fun. :good:

Paul