Is the NRA finally sorting itself out?

fenix

Suffering from a dose of insomnia I have just spent a couple of hours reading some of the stuff on th NRA website, including most of last years journals. Having shot at Bisley for a couple of years I had started to ignore the general state of the place, and had come to the conclussion that it was basically it was how it had always been. I had also made up my mind that the NRA was pretty much made up of and run for a bunch of TR shooters, that had stuck their heads in the sand for the past 20 years.

The journals include articles by the various "officers" in the organisation, along with the minutes of various meetings. Input is from a range of people including members and non-members. I was quiet supprised how the NRA has admitted its past failings, and appears to be trying to sort them out. I was also supprised how much work they are putting into a variety of rifle shooting and whats left of pistol shooting. They seem to be specifically active on the mess that is the long barreled revolver, in particular the fact that some forces do not allow clubs to own them (only indevidual members). The NRA also appear to be working more with the other organisations, especially in light of the shootings last year.

High up on the agenda is the mess that Bisley has been allowed to get into, especially the roads and toilets which are frankly blood horrible. They also seem to be very aware that more young people need to come into the sport, otherwise target shooting will die out. And by pushing a variety of disciplines other than TR they hope to make the sport more friendly to new shooters. A lot of comments at the meetings were concerned with trying to keep target shooting affordable, especially with the cost of ammunition.

Anyway, link to the jornals

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/general/downloads.asp?site=NRA&category=All

Pondering joining as a full member, best way to change an organisation is from the inside. They have made some pretty big mistakes in the past, but tjere appears to be a lot of changes at the top. Hopefully for the better.

Suffering from a dose of insomnia I have just spent a couple of hours reading some of the stuff on th NRA website, including most of last years journals. Having shot at Bisley for a couple of years I had started to ignore the general state of the place, and had come to the conclussion that it was basically it was how it had always been. I had also made up my mind that the NRA was pretty much made up of and run for a bunch of TR shooters, that had stuck their heads in the sand for the past 20 years.

The journals include articles by the various "officers" in the organisation, along with the minutes of various meetings. Input is from a range of people including members and non-members. I was quiet supprised how the NRA has admitted its past failings, and appears to be trying to sort them out. I was also supprised how much work they are putting into a variety of rifle shooting and whats left of pistol shooting. They seem to be specifically active on the mess that is the long barreled revolver, in particular the fact that some forces do not allow clubs to own them (only indevidual members). The NRA also appear to be working more with the other organisations, especially in light of the shootings last year.

High up on the agenda is the mess that Bisley has been allowed to get into, especially the roads and toilets which are frankly blood horrible. They also seem to be very aware that more young people need to come into the sport, otherwise target shooting will die out. And by pushing a variety of disciplines other than TR they hope to make the sport more friendly to new shooters. A lot of comments at the meetings were concerned with trying to keep target shooting affordable, especially with the cost of ammunition.

Anyway, link to the jornals

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/general/downloads.asp?site=NRA&category=All

Pondering joining as a full member, best way to change an organisation is from the inside. They have made some pretty big mistakes in the past, but tjere appears to be a lot of changes at the top. Hopefully for the better.

I have just had to pay the fees for our club at Bisley this year, this does not include range charges, they have gone up in total 16.46% from last year, they better fix the roads and toilets etc!

Edited by Dekers

NRA fees are up on last year, but they had been drastically cut the year before that. Basically they cut too much. On the other hand my clubs fees have remained the same for a couple of years, and that includes the range charges. Reading through the journals they admit that Bisley was ignored in an attempt to help ranges in other areas, this included interest free loans and cash support. They seem to be have admitted that this hasnt worked and are now trying to catchup with maintenance.

NRA fees are up on last year, but they had been drastically cut the year before that. Basically they cut too much. On the other hand my clubs fees have remained the same for a couple of years, and that includes the range charges. Reading through the journals they admit that Bisley was ignored in an attempt to help ranges in other areas, this included interest free loans and cash support. They seem to be have admitted that this hasnt worked and are now trying to catchup with maintenance.

I don't know where you get your information but fees for my club to use Bisley have gone UP every year I can remember, and so have the range fees, excuse me for being confused, but just where were they drastically cut the year before that

My CLUB fees have not increased this year due to good internal housekeeping ..BUT the fees my club has to pay to the NRA/Bisley have gone up 16.46% this year, that is an outrageous scandal!