Shooting Lesson - lee leisure

JustJon

Hi, had my first lesson on Saturday morning.

Slightly odd site driving in but tuition seemed good, friendly bunch of coaches and made sure they knew my needs.

Did some safety, eye test (left eye, right handed), showed how to mount then started shooting. 3 different shots, 1st was hill in front with a clay going straight up then down. This one was ok, hit a decent amount, kept leavimg it too long, thinking too much about it and need to make sure i stick to more instinct.

2nd was clay fired from near me going away. Fairly simple shot, instructor tried pulling without warning and distracting by talking about work, no issues here.

Third was a 'rabbit'. Hell on earth, how do i hit that consistantly? Lol. Also started aching with recoil and using an odd shoulder - thats my excuse anyway.

Also chatted over formal game shoots and what to expect and talked about future lessons and what to cover off.

Seemed a good solid introduction and i'll be goin back!

Thanks for reading.

Sounds like you had a good time... I only did the up & down in my first lesson plus right to lefts... Following lesson they also covered left to rights, which I found very difficult....

Going on to the high towers next weekend!! eek!

You having a course of lessons?

Personally I think lessons are a great way of getting into the sport and glad I spent the cash on them.

ATB

Mark

(I should add my lessons are at Park Lodge) :good:

Thanks Mark,

Planning a course, steadily though as would like my last 3 or 4 lessons with my own gun. And my arms ache today, using ne muscles I guess.

They even said a course of 8 lessons should cover everything and they'll do gun cleaning, trap fixing, etiquette etc which is important as I'll be shooting wih work later in the year.

Looking forward to lesson 2!

Planning a course, steadily though as would like my last 3 or 4 lessons with my own gun. And my arms ache today, using ne muscles I guess.

They even said a course of 8 lessons should cover everything and they'll do gun cleaning, trap fixing, etiquette etc which is important as I'll be shooting wih work later in the year.

Looking forward to lesson 2!

Yep, mine were in a similar state after first lesson....

They told me about 6 would do the job..... Just got my own gun so all will now be with that and after I have finished they will see if any alterations are needed to the fit.

The most important lesson is safety. A gun can be lethal, so never point it at anyone. Point it at target when it is your turn or point it at the ground when loading.

Assume it could go off at any time (when loaded) and you won't go far wrong.

Good luck and welcome to shooting.

Thanks Mark, hoping they'll be ready to go again soon.

Thanks Gordon - agreed. I've got a friend who used t be a gamekeeper - had some time with him discussing ans the same message was drilled in yesterday. Whether taking out of slip, loading, holding or firing, it was well enforced. If it wasnt i'd be unconfident and not want to return.

That's why they where talking driven shoots with me - just to drive home the safety message. Where are the beaters, other guns, back guns, where can I see, what height is safe to shoot, whar arc, behind, can I shoot game? All discussed and reasons explained. Felt like a good solid intro - but still plenty to learn and respect for the gun remains paramount.

Shooting left handed. Had read these forums and you'd directed me to your post so was expecting it.

They took a balanced view and where going to get me to try both. However, eye is VERY dominant and mounting to left shoulder didn't feel too alien so never even tried a shot off my right. The answer was obvious.

Best option with a very Dom eye limits choice of gun a bit but not otherwise an issue rabbits used to fox me, shoot low and fast I too wait too long got a bad habit of hitting them dropping rather than rising but you'll get there

Edited by HDAV