How do you judge a gun is a good 'fit'?

Stratts

I'm gonna be getting my 1st shottie soon and have a chance of a Lanber for a decent price, but have been advised to try a few to see how they shoulder. But, I'm not really sure how I'll know if it's right or not? If I go for the Lanber I need to send a deposit to secure it then collect coz it's miles away from me.

I'm guessing an RFD will advise me but I don't know the ones local to me very well yet. If I say a budget to them do you think they'll give an honest opinion if I shoulder a few?

Cheers

Hi mate best way is def to mount a few guns and see if they feel right.

A good dealer should give an honest opinion and not sell on price alone.

They should watch you dry mount the unloded gun from the 'business end'

Your in Yaxley go see Dave Shipman in Whittlesea hes a good bloke!

Its always hard when you first start, as you don't start mounting consistently well untill you have been shooting for a bit and settle into your own style,stance has a lot to do with it,get good gunsmith or coach to check your mounting and stance is correct to start with.

Also get your eye dominance checked out, its easier to start out right than try to alter later.

You should be able to bring the gun into your shoulder pocket and cheek not bring your head down to the stock if you do this with your eyes closed.

You should when opening them then see your eye is lined up with centre of the rib seeing a bit of rib and the end bead, if you can then it fits pretty well, try a gun with a mid bead and line them up one on top of the other in a figure of eight, this is the picture you want to see every time.

What i found harder was correct gunstock length as differing lengths still gave me the correct sight picture but had quite an effect on point of aim when shot,this where the pattern plates come in handy.

Hopefully someone with more experience like beretta or coach will be along to help you with some sound expert advice.

ATB figgy

Edited by figgy

I'm gonna be getting my 1st shottie soon and have a chance of a Lanber for a decent price, but have been advised to try a few to see how they shoulder. But, I'm not really sure how I'll know if it's right or not? If I go for the Lanber I need to send a deposit to secure it then collect coz it's miles away from me.

I'm guessing an RFD will advise me but I don't know the ones local to me very well yet. If I say a budget to them do you think they'll give an honest opinion if I shoulder a few?

Cheers

Go to your local clay ground, find the coach be very up front with him and I would like to think he or she would give you a few minutes of quality time and run through gun fit with you and point out any special requirements you may have.

Sage is a sage,

As I have posted elsewhere I am a bit stuck in the shottie acquisition process. However, to date have shot Winnie, Silver Pig and Browning. Resonably consistent with all three, but Silver Pig "felt" the best. Instructor at my local clay ground last lesson put 100+ shells through the Browning and at the end said next time around lesson should be "mount, mount, mount". At the end of that I reckon I will know what is the best fit for me. Get out there get at least a couple or three lessons in with as many different guns as possible. It is the same as fly rods and golf clubs - get some lessons in and the rest will come.

Go to your local clay ground, find the coach be very up front with him and I would like to think he or she would give you a few minutes of quality time and run through gun fit with you and point out any special requirements you may have.

This is exactly what my coach did for me.. Found the Browning wasn't a great fit, but the Silver Pigeon was almost spot on out of the box.

Hence me having just purchased my own Silver Pig.

put the but of the gun to the inside of the bend in your arm and if you can hold the grip and put your finger on the trigger comfortably thats a good fit.

No thats comfy (roughly ok LOP), doesnt mean its pointing in the right direction when you mount it or the comb is right etc.....

Hi mate ,an old hand once gave me this little tip for trying a gun for initial fit.Close your eyes then mount the gun keeping your eyes firmly closed,now settle the gun into the most natural and comfortable position for you .Now open your eyes and see where your eye is in relation to the bead line ideally you should see a figure of 8 which is formed by the centre bead below the front bead ( it helps to have some one with you looking down the bead from the muzzle end).Obviously the less you have to move and alter your stance and mount the better.Now try the same system at speed (as though your in the field)so eyes shut gun out of the shoulder then quick mount and swing and see where you are.This is only a quick guide but it will help to sort out the really unsuitable stuff.