Hay Bale shoots

smokin12g

Most hay bale shoots seem to shoot every fortnight under the 28 day rule. Does anyone know if you could use the 28 days in consecutive weeks, ie every sunday for 28 weeks?

Also is land used for shooting suitable for grazing or are livestock in danger of eating and swallowing clay fragments?

Are clay fragment bio degradable and if so do you know how long they take to break down? They look really unsightly especially orange targets. Could you flail over them or mow the area to break them right down?

Any input would be much appreciated

Many thanks

- Don't know about the 28 day rule, but an easy one to check with planning department.

- Many in the northwest have sheep grazing the land after shooting, but you need fibre, rather than plastic wad. Remember, sheep choose to die :shaun:

- Standard clays are not degradable, but I have seen resin ones that are said to be "degradable". You could mow, but a roller may do a better job.

Not sure on the 28 day rule but you can do Sundays back to back as it works the same for the local car boot. They can only run 14 car boots per year due to planning. If they do more it is classed as a permanent site and then would need different planning.

As for the clays the sheep wont eat them but as stated use fibre wad

Clay pigeons are saucer-shaped disks made up of limestone and pitch used as targets for sport shooting. The name is a remnant of the times when people shot actual pigeons for sport.

Edited by super sharp shooter

We run our club on a field also used for livestock,

We have NEVER (touchwood) had a problem with animals eating bits of clay or being hurt (cut feet) by them

before moving grounds we used plastic wads and although used to see the odd chewed up wad, we still had no problems.

We use degradable clays and fibre wads now on new field, and yes the orange clays stand out but not for long.....

We shot at 100's of thousands of clays over the years and you would never know it.

We are fortunate enough to be able to shoot every week so cant help you with the 28 day rule, but we have a premier ground local that is only allowed to shoot a set amount of sundays each year,

they are allowed to manage how often they shoot themselves as long as they dont go over their limit ie- they could shoot every sunday for a month then might not shoot for a month and so on.

shaun

Yes you can hold a shoot 28 times a year without planning or other permissions but one of the biggest problems is noise pollution. Yes,every one says they are miles from anyware but a look on an ordinance survey map may tell you otherwise.

If you held 28 consecutive weekend shoots you may find that noise is a problem.

Vic.

Mate of mine holds a Tuesday night shoot every week in summer on 28 day rule -- it's only a mile away from me and if wind is from north very rarely hear it - but from south it could be in my back garden - it's easy to see why people complain but I do believe in grandfather rights - ie - we were here first - tough poo but unfortunately it doesn't work in this country.

dave

Thanks for your input guys, nothing is ever easy is it. Probably not a bad thing to be honest, i'd be livid if someone set up 8 stands at the back of my house and i couldn't do anything about it.

Shaun, do you know the type or brand of the clays you use? If you have a web link that would be fantastic. I'm assuming they're a couple of pence per target cheaper?

Thanks for your input

Thanks for your input guys, nothing is ever easy is it. Probably not a bad thing to be honest, i'd be livid if someone set up 8 stands at the back of my house and i couldn't do anything about it.

Shaun, do you know the type or brand of the clays you use? If you have a web link that would be fantastic. I'm assuming they're a couple of pence per target cheaper?

Thanks for your input

(Sorry, more expensive! Less work more sleep!)

Thanks HDAV,

"The primary concern will be that no noise nuisance is going to be created by the shoot and other considerations such as the direction

of shooting, proximity of housing and public places, duration and repeat frequency of the shoot will also be considered."

I'm assuming that if your in the middle of nowhere you could probably shoot back to back weekends. Might be different if there is a house or two nearby though.

Thanks for your input

we have never specified degradable clays,

we used to get ours from "The clay pigeon company"....not sure who we use now, i can find out on Sunday for you...

we buy in bulk ie a couple of pallets at a time....

we order ours through "Keiths Sports" at Saltburn,.....you have to wait until there is a full load before they deliver but they do come with a wagon that has a fork lift on the back for ease of unloading.

shaun

If you do have closeish neighbours, get them on your side straight away. Invite them to come to you before you open, introduce them to your staff and let them have a go free of charge. It's always harder to complain about someone you know. from Auntie. :good:

We have been at our ground since late 60's

guy bought the old pub across the road, it had been closed for years.....

he was nice as ninepence whilst he was converting it to a house...(even bought a load of topsoil off us)

as soon as he had finished and moved in, the complaints started......

noise surveys the whole 9 yards.....we eventually had to move 2 fields away (nothing to do with him) but he even complained then even though we were further away..

Anyway to cut an even longer story short, we were within all limits and council granted us full planning......

he isnt happy but has to live with it.....

he knew we were there before he bought the place but thought he could get us moved or closed....

shaun

Edited by shaun4860

Thanks Ste, I did know about plaswad, thanks for that.

Is the thinking with the roller that it would break the clays up and press them into the ground so grazing sheep wouldn't be able to eat them from the surface?

atb

Yes the roller breaks them down and will poke the bits into the soil.