Whistle trainging

MDK

Hello Guys and Gals

just a quick one regarding training whistle's?

picked up a 9 wk old ESS on tue gone and want to start training on whistle, is there a prefered whistle to use as harmonic sounds tends to be varied! or is it that

simple any one will do? only asking as i went to local dog shop and he fetched me 4 to look at and saying different like, Variable and fixed, this is my 1st spaniel well dog really

so i want to get it right and bond with her as soon as possible. We can't go out as yet till her jabs are over but thought i could atleast do some basics in home commands.

any advice or reccomendations? only asking about whistle's coz she doesn't respond to verbal as much regarding her name or anything apart from a simple lip whistle then she responds

Cheers.

MDK

I use an ACME 210 whistle ofr spaniels, but be careful when buying them because some have a pip in.I made the mistake of buying one with a pip in and it has a similar tone to a 211.5 :oops:

The ones without a pip give a softer tone and the ones with a pip are a little sharper and a higher tone.Spaniels work or should work at closer ranges so a softer toned whistle should do you fine :good:

Oh, and if anyone knows how to take an ACME whistle apart please let me know :lol:

The whistle i was told to buy is a acme with 210 1/2 pitch..

Bought one the other day...

My cocker responds straight away without fail..with him only being 10 wks he is still getting used to his name..

lee is that 210 with a half pitch or 210.5 with or without pea?

Cheers.

210 an a half it says on the whistle...no pea inside..

This is the one everybody told me to buy for spaniels..

Seems to work for me an toffee(cocker).

Im only using it a little when giving him his food so he gets used to it...he sits when i use it..

The type of whistle you use does not matter a toss, it is training the dog to listen to it and understand it that's the trick ;)

P.s. pegleg, I don't know the correct way to take a whistle apart but I have done it once with spaniel out on a blind runner that didn't seem to be handling :mad: I bit through the whistle so couldn't handle... and the dog came back with the bird :blush:

Edited by WGD

The type of whistle you use does not matter a toss, it is training the dog to listen to it and understand it that's the trick ;)

Well it's probably worth asking your shooting mates what they use, and then buy a different pitch? That way if you're working together closely you wont confuse to dogs... :hmm:

Well it's probably worth asking your shooting mates what they use, and then buy a different pitch? That way if you're working together closely you wont confuse to dogs... :hmm:

Just because you have the same pitch as someone else doesn't mean that the dog will hear the same tone from the both of you.I reguraly work my dogs with people using the same pitch whistle without any problems :good:

Correct, I've always used a 212 but I've now got a spaniel that came with a 210 1/2, I usually manage to stick the wrong whistle in my mouth but the dog being handled knows it's me. To misquote Frank Carson "It's the way you blow 'em"

Thanks for your input guys ive gone for a 210.5

i seem to agree with pegleg31 anybody can blow a whistle of the same pitch, but is how we blow them as a individual that make it unique to the dog

and yes i can see how they will sound simalar they all do.

Cheers guys.

M.