I NEED A NEW GUN! (any advice)

stuartgceltic

I was out today - i have a .22 gamo 55 cal single shot and noticed that the pigeons were not falling as cleanly as i would have liked (one flew into a crate and broke it's neck after being shot and another had a 10 foot crawl to a horrid death stuck between some cow grates).

When I retrieved both birds they were both taken with marks that would normally cause instant death.

I am shooting prob 25ft to the roof of a barn.

Do you think the gun is requiring repaired?

Should I change to a gas powered gun (not FAC?)

Is there a good gas gun for under £200?

Does the gas cost a fortune and can you get a gas 'repeater'?

so many questions!

Thanks

Stuart

first thing you have to do is find out what power your rifle is doing as this could explain a lot.

To do this the best way is either get a CB125 chrombo for about 40 quid or take your rifle to local gun shop and they should be able to test it there for you, if you hav an air gun blub near you they would also be able to help you out.

as for the gas guns, im goign to guess you mean a PCP (pre charge pneaumatic (never did learn how to spell that one will edit when someone corrects me :lol:) yes you can get a rifle for under 250 but you will be lucky to get the charge gear at that price as well :lol:

a wll known retailer is selling the webley raiders, which are a 2 shot pcp rifle, for 219, they are a very nice little rifle and just as accurate as any rifle out there.

another option would be to buy second hand 250 should get you a rifle scope and if your lucky a pump as well :lol: check out the sales section and have a good look through ti to see the sort of prices you can expect.

ROB :lol:

Stu lad!!

The word Gamo or should i say El Gamo!! Says it all my dear chap :lol:

Spanish CAN make some decent stuff but the Gamo IMHO isn't one of them. They may look ok but having used quite a lot of them in the past my findings are the quality of said airguns is pretty poor. Fine for a few month from the box and then the power drops like a stone (a lot like Baikal) they make shotguns AND air rifles and the latter are **** to be blunt.

Most likely Spring or Piston giving you the trouble and from the sounds of your range i would say Sub 5FPE as a Pistol should easily penetrate at 25 feet IF at full 6FPE

If you want a "Gas gun":lol:?? I assume you mean PCP or Co2 If PCP then a used AA S200 will be in your price range as will a used Falcon FN19 BOTH are extremely accurate putting pellet on pellet at 30 yards

Co2 would be a Crossman Rabbit Stopper approx 9FPE OR a Xisco QB78 APPROX 9FPE or if you wanna have a cowboy feel then Walther have a underlever Co2 powered rifle i THINK about 9FPE too which at 25 feet should be more than sufficient.

Or if you want to go for a Pistol then a Falcon FN8 Pistol is very nice or a Crossman Multi stroke but the latter require constant maintanance and the periodic replacement of seals etc.

LG

Hi there,

thanks for all this

i have been using the air rifle.

the shots were - 1st in the throat - about a1/4 below the beak straight on - the second was through the back in the middle of the wings.

shot some like this before and never had a problem with the rifle - just wondering about my angles now and re-zero'd the scope incase the shots were off and the pigeon was caught by a reboundfrom the metal backstop.

wasnt that though and it would have been some fluke if the sight was off and the pellets happened to strike almost exactly where i was aiming by a rebound!

Most probably my year old gun has decided to throw pellets like i can spit gum!

thanks for all the advice!

stu

ps - i do not chew gum and cant spit it very far!