Pellets for squirrels

the lizard

All,

I've just been invited to call round to a farmhouse and exterminate a small group of nuisance squirrels (about 3 or 4 of 'em), that are causing problems.

I've never hunted Squirrel before so I'm looking for recommendations for the best type of pellet to use.

I'm using an Air Arms S410 Carbine, with silencer and a Hawke 3-9 x 40 scope.

Thanks.

The Lizard

All,

I've just been invited to call round to a farmhouse and exterminate a small group of nuisance squirrels (about 3 or 4 of 'em), that are causing problems.

I've never hunted Squirrel before so I'm looking for recommendations for the best type of pellet to use.

I'm using an Air Arms S410 Carbine, with silencer and a Hawke 3-9 x 40 scope.

Thanks.

The Lizard

hi m8, any pellet will do, but a good one to go for are logun penertrators. ;)

As long as the pellet you are using gives you accuracy, don't worry, as long as you can put the shot in the right place it will do the job. ;)

If you are shooting them from the tree's get some practice in first, because you point of aim will be slightly different shooting up in the trees than shooting rabbits on the ground :rolleyes:

If you are shooting them from the tree's get some practice in first, because you point of aim will be slightly different shooting up in the trees than shooting rabbits on the ground ;)

Thanks mate.

I discovered this the other day when I was shooting ferals in the rafters of a grain storage shed the other day.

rgds,

the Lizard

As said above, accuracy is the most important part.

But after some hunting tests, I have to say stay away from pointed pellets as these really leave you with a sad face when your prey runs of with horric injuries but runs off to die some where.

I found the logun penetrators a very good pellet, as well as the Webly Lazadoms. I have been advising these to all customers looking for a good hunting pellet in the gunshop. I strongly reccomend them due to their accuracy, and perfect weight.

I find Accupels dont like many guns, but if they like your gun, they will shoot well, and kill clean.

Good luck, most important you must practice close range shooting.. as you will encouter 10-15 yard shots quite often when after the tree gobblers ;)

Hi Lizard.

As youv'e probably sussed by now almost anything will do it, if put in the right place.

We found that verminpel were very effective as they make the biggest exit hole and thus stop them in their tracks. ???

Also when hunting tree rats, it's handy to have a partner, Sqirrels will spot you before you see them and move to the other side of the tree trunk and then move round the tree as you pass. Get your partner to walk slowly past the tree and as he passes the squirrel moves round to your side and Bingo! ???

Edited by saint_george

yep squirrels do have very good eye sight, but alas they are very stupid and never learnt to count, so if you are shooting by yourself, and come accross a tree rat and he spots you, dont panic just remove you jacket place on a nice branch so that it could move about, then make you way round to the other side of the tree when he moves back and sees your jacket flapping about he will soon come back to your side of the tree where you can take your time and get him ???

ROB ???

yep squirrels do have very good eye sight, but alas they are very stupid and never learnt to count, so if you are shooting by yourself, and come accross a tree rat and he spots you, dont panic just remove you jacket place on a nice branch so that it could move about, then make you way round to the other side of the tree when he moves back and sees your jacket flapping about he will soon come back to your side of the tree where you can take your time and get him :lol:

ROB :lol:

Or when you have spotted a Squirrel and it try's to hide from you on the other side of the tree, find some sticks and throw them round his side(make sure you have your rifle ready) then as it comes round your side Thwack ???

I never hunt squirrels without my Binoculars, cos they can really hide on bare branches ??? . But you will spot some tail fur blowing in the wind and if you move about slowly you will get a clear shot.

Oh god memory lane here i come ????????????