Trying Partridges

Our shoot is DIY, with all that means, but this year we are hoping to try some partridge (frenchmen).

We have 2 options-

1. Try some partridge on a satelite farm some 1.5 miles, as the crow flies, from our main land. totalling some 130 acres.

2. Release a few on the shoot and try to improve returns. When we have released partridge before we have returns of 10-20% from 300.

My view is that if we release them ( in the best way to retain them) on our main shoot and plant enough cover crops to hold them, we will also provide better cover for our released pheasants (returns are 20 % presently), also, feeding would be easier on the main shoot and its a bigger holding area.Our main shoot is some 1000 acres but mainly grass (dairy).

There is some concern that on this new land, the guy who controls pigeons/crows is a bit prone to taking the odd bird.

My own biggest concern is that the new place, (about 130 acres) is way too small to hold even a few hundred partridge. It has a bridleway around at least 50% of the shoot and a busy lane which splits the land 2/3 rds, 1/3rd.

Add this to the 'keen shooter' and it looks to me like returns will be negligeable

Anyone any thoughts/advice?

Many thanks

I would put them down on your main shoot.

Build some holding pens in your game cover and provide them with shelter, food and water. Release a few some days before you shoot ensuring that you have pellets and water available in the plot and those in the pens will act as call birds and help to hold the released birds. This way you should get better returns.

Many thanks Charlie, as usual there are many viewpoints on the shoot and getting agreement is not always easy, so its very helful to have an experienced outside view.

Will keep you informed of progress - feel sure you will be interested.

Kes

isn't that a little naughty just releasing them a few days before shooting.

But I would agree with release on your main shoot, do as much vermin control as possible. Make sure you have feeders in cover crops and keep some call birds in the pens. Our last call birds get released before we start shooting

A return of only 20% on Pheasant would suggest that all is not as it should be, even on a DIY shoot.

If you can get the pheasant returns way up, it would indicate that predator control,feeding, habitat etc. are good,and you would be well on your way to having the requirements to hold some partridge, but partridge do make greater demands than pheasant.

Get the pheasant right, and your on your way for some partridge. With such a low return on pheasant, I wouldn't bother with partridge; they will absorb cash and time that clearly needs expending on the pheasant shoot at the moment. Your partridge returns would be very disapointing.

I would agree with Charlie as to how to hold the partridge, you also need plenty of the correct habitat, and cover crops in the right places. I doubt that the 130 acre farm is the place to even attempt partridge.

Good luck if you do go ahead,but if you can't get the pheasants right the partridge will simply fail. Sorry, but thats how it is.

You could search the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust, they have done a lot of work on partridge. If you can, ask to speak to Mike Swan, I seriously doubt that his advise will vary from that above.

webber

Agree with Webber on this.

10% return means your partridge are @ £40 per bird BEFORE you have even fed them/fuel/ etc..

Why are your pheasant returns so low? Do you know the reason/s?

A minimum return of 33% should be your target,ideally 40%+ so they are either finding somewhere else more attractive or you have a real fox problem?

Partridges have the advantage of being basically the early season shooting BUT are harder to keep/wander further.Get pheasant returns up to 33% + before putting Partridge down as it looks more like a release programme at the moment.

ATB

i,m not far from you ....what do you think is happening to the pheasants ....predation ,wandering off,no cover ...we used to put partridge down but it didnt really work due to trespassers disturbing the birds...we have concerntrated more on the pheasants and we did have poor returns but there getting better slowly.

how many pheasants do you put down?

is there much woodland on the shoot?

i,m not far from you ....what do you think is happening to the pheasants ....predation ,wandering off,no cover ...we used to put partridge down but it didnt really work due to trespassers disturbing the birds...we have concerntrated more on the pheasants and we did have poor returns but there getting better slowly.

how many pheasants do you put down?

is there much woodland on the shoot?

Tiny, Hi.

About 13/1400 pheasants (1000+ acres)and I'm sure disturbance levels are high, weve had damaged traps and feeders overturned and there are long dog men we've caught, hawkers and those we have seen and missed late at night. Walkers and dog owners add to this problem. W have even had a shotgun found on the shoot (not an incompetent guns !)

I feel this disturbance is the critical factor. We have several reasonable woods of several acres each but they are cold (different problems in each)with little ground cover and dont hold easily. I think your approach is the right one but the expectation of instant improvement has outweighed the wiser counsel i'm afraid. Still, onward and upward.

Regards, Kes

Well you can only work with the land you've got.

Try the partridges, they might surprise you.

If you can get them then I would say cover crops, maize is great for redlegs, in addition to the 'driving' maize crops try to get some wide canary grass strips against the upwind side of the woods to try and warm them up a bit.