Satisfaction - finally

TaxiDriver

Finally :good:

For some months now I have had a minor rat problem in the garden, just one or two rattys getting in the chicken run and helping themselves to the feed.

I've tried a commercial bait box, I've tried sprung traps, hell on one ocassion I was so incensed at rattys' cheek I charged up the garden in my underwear yelling at the thing :yp: (Didn't scare him off for long though)

I spotted him one night using the natty red led torch I bought from UKPoacher but by the time I'd got air rifle out of gun cabinet and pellets out of safe he'd scarpered (no doubt stuffed full of chicken pellets) :oops:

Well, this morning........woke up at like 5.45am, bored I looked out the bedroom window and lo and behold the cheeky little beggar is there large as life running about the chicken run and under the coop and hopping on/off the feeder filling his face with layers pellets :sly:

Well, out comes my sons SMK Syntarg and a 17grain pellet and from 22yards I nailed the little ******, right in the centre of his forehead :D

Ok it was only 22yards, from bedroom window to chicken run, but ohh how satisfying.

Edited by TaxiDriver

I have exactly the same problem at the moment. I have lived in my house for 10 years, always had chickens outside, seen the occasional rat in previous years usually dispatched by our cats. This year I am completely over run with them. I bought some Fenn Traps as recommended by guys on here and have nailed 5 in the last couple of weeks.

This one has had better days:

post-25830-0-75985000-1303131292.jpg

I have exactly the same problem at the moment. I have lived in my house for 10 years, always had chickens outside, seen the occasional rat in previous years usually dispatched by our cats. This year I am completely over run with them. I bought some Fenn Traps as recommended by guys on here and have nailed 5 in the last couple of weeks.

This one has had better days:

post-25830-0-75985000-1303131292.jpg

Thats freaky !! look at the way the eyes bulge yeukkkk

Mine got the lead right between them :yes:

I've only seen one rat at any one time, So don't know if it's the same one but so far he's avoided bait, poison and spring trap.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoorahhh I've now added my first 'Woodie' to the tally :good:

Have cleared the pathway to the end of my garden which is 21metres from the edge of my patio, been plinking away and have zeroed scope so that I'm pellet on pellet using the second dot up from centre on my Mil-dot reticule, So Im not 100% sure what my actual zero distance is but would I be right in thinking it should be past 21 metres ?

Anyways, we have this large Oak at the bottom of the garden and it spreads over mine and next doors both sides of my rear garden, the pigeons have taken to roosting in this tree and often feed on the oak flowers and young leaves, crapping all over my garden in the process, my neighbour moans as their garden is all over to slabs and he hates the poop everywhere.

Well, I've been reluctant to have a go at the pigeons as I was concerned in case any shot birds dropped into my neighbours gardens, well, got the 'all clear' from the neighbours this morning so I set to it.

There's me plinking away with my Gamo SFX and 'Woody' lands in the midst of the tree and Coo Cooo's fer all he's worth :unsure: then he pooped :angry: So I let him have a pellet right under the chin and he dropped like stone. (Gosh it's a buzz this hunting malarky) indoors, looked up the video on PW for 'crowning a pigeon' and had it fried for breakfast :good:

Quite a strong flavour, and dark meat, think it might be something of an aquired taste.

look out Squizzers next.

Edited by TaxiDriver

Hoorahhh I've now added my first 'Woodie' to the tally :good:

Have cleared the pathway to the end of my garden which is 21metres from the edge of my patio, been plinking away and have zeroed scope so that I'm pellet on pellet using the second dot up from centre on my Mil-dot reticule, So Im not 100% sure what my actual zero distance is but would I be right in thinking it should be past 21 metres ?

Anyways, we have this large Oak at the bottom of the garden and it spreads over mine and next doors both sides of my rear garden, the pigeons have taken to roosting in this tree and often feed on the oak flowers and young leaves, crapping all over my garden in the process, my neighbour moans as their garden is all over to slabs and he hates the poop everywhere.

Well, I've been reluctant to have a go at the pigeons as I was concerned in case any shot birds dropped into my neighbours gardens, well, got the 'all clear' from the neighbours this morning so I set to it.

There's me plinking away with my Gamo SFX and 'Woody' lands in the midst of the tree and Coo Cooo's fer all he's worth :unsure: then he pooped :angry: So I let him have a pellet right under the chin and he dropped like stone. (Gosh it's a buzz this hunting malarky) indoors, looked up the video on PW for 'crowning a pigeon' and had it fried for breakfast :good:

Quite a strong flavour, and dark meat, think it might be something of an aquired taste.

look out Squizzers next.

Well done, but tread very carefully shooting wooodpigeons in your garden. Playing Devil's advocate, which bit of the NE general licence were you shooting under? I say this because a bloke was prosecuted by the RSPCA for the same last year. Arguably he wasn't very well advised, and might have got off with better representation but it shows what might happen - very unbalanced national media coverage too ISTR.

Not having a go, and I am pleased for you but would hate to see you get in the poo. You might want to visit Natural England's website and read the GL very carefully so you can argue the toss if one of your less understanding neighbours calls the RSPCA. If you grow a lot of veg and the pigeons are damaging it (and you've tried other non lethal deterrents) you might have a case. You could try the public health angle but it might not cut much ice if its just one or two pigeons crapping on your grass.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Agreed, and I'm not suggesting for one minute that TD did anything of the sort, but if someone really wanted to push it, it could be argued by the RSPCA or others that pigeons messing on the patio is not covered by the terms of the OGL, daft I know.

Don't shoot the messenger, just suggesting the OP becomes aware of possible pitfalls and arms himself with the information he needs to stay legal.

Thanks for the Info link,

In light of the above I don't think I'll be bothering anymore.

If anyone wants to complain perhaps they'll come round and clear the **** up, when there's no buds on the trees they land and strip the lawn, the sit in the trees and poop everywhere including in/over my poultry feeders & waterers and when they're done with that they have my plant seedlings that might otherwise go in the veggie beds and the allotments.

I wonder, if Im spotted standing in the garden shouting 'bang, bang' would I be deemed fit to hold an SGC :hmm:

Edited by TaxiDriver

Nice shooting TD :good: Try soaking the breasts in saltwater overnight. Seems to take a lot of that rich gamey taste out. Works for me anyhoo....

And I suspect that case with the RSPCA was a one off incident. How many people do you see stop in their car if they hit a bird and possibly fatally wound it :rolleyes:

Im no veterinary expert but I would suggest that the Rat does,nt look Tickety-Boo-I would also like to point out that the legality of shouting "Bang Bang" in your garden would depend upon what you were shouting at (bearing in mind the relevant seasons)and would almost certainly be frowned upon on a Bank holiday-you might like to try whispering and thus keep things subsonic.