CORVID SHOOTING

steve_b_wales

A few days ago, 'The Poacher' (Mark) and myself were up on one of our permissions, and noticed a large amount of crows (approx 150) flying around. We decided to go back up today and see if we could get any. I came off a night shift this morning, but within 2 hours, I met Mark and we headed for the farm.

We set up our decoys, floaters, and a couple of decoys that I lofted into the tree. We waited patiently, and after half an hour, one solitary crow flew over us, and was quickly shot. Another hour went by with nothing about. We decided to pack up and move further down the fields. We soon realised why there were no crows on our field, as they were all down the bottom ones. We quickly set up the hide against a fence, put the decoys out, and within 5 minutes, a few crows came into the pattern, and were shot. We continued to have a good few hours with crows and jackdaws coming in. In total we picked up a mix of 18 crows/jackdaws, with at least another five that were shot but managed to fly into the next valley before dropping.We also missed 'one or two' as well. All in all, we had a good few hours out, and plan another one next week. The photo's show our hide (hastily put up)and some of the decoys.

My thanks to Mark for an enjoyable day.

Hi Steve,

What make are the decoys you use?

I borrowed four full bodied crow deeks from my pal before going shooting yesterday. Out again today I added to the pattern four of my half shell pigeon decoys inserted up the legs of his wife's black tights which I conveniently happened to have with me (it's a long story and not what you might think) :hmm:

It helped build the pattern and I managed to get eleven today plus the five from yesterday shown below.

Phil

Hi Steve,

What make are the decoys you use?

I borrowed four full bodied crow deeks from my pal before going shooting yesterday. Out again today I added to the pattern four of my half shell pigeon decoys inserted up the legs of his wife's black tights which I conveniently happened to have with me (it's a long story and not what you might think) :hmm:

It helped build the pattern and I managed to get eleven today plus the five from yesterday shown below.

Phil

Hi Phil. I use the standard decoys that you can buy at most gun shops. I normally pay around £10 for 3. I flock my own decoys ( :rolleyes: ) but this is not a neccessity. I make some of them into shells, just to cut down on the bulk.

Steve.