I hope he wins

DSPUK

I said to Mrs's at the time that this guys name should never have been published unless he was charged - can you imagine what his life has been like since - same with rape cases no names until guilty and as regards to false claims all women should be named - Hope he becomes a millionaire

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20110421/tuk-joanna-yeates-landlord-sues-newpaper-dba1618.html

Dave

Edited by DSPUK

As far as I can remember the papers only reported the information released by the police. I don't think they ever actually accused him of the murder?

Surely their job is to report these things?

If the police release a suspects name and question that suspect for a few days then it's legitimate to report it.

We all moan when terror suspects are released without charge and then go on to claim compensation. I can't see much difference in this case. :no: So, I'd be disappointed if he were to be successful with his claim.

As far as I can remember the papers only reported the information released by the police. I don't think they ever actually accused him of the murder?

Surely their job is to report these things?

If the police release a suspects name and question that suspect for a few days then it's legitimate to report it.

We all moan when terror suspects are released without charge and then go on to claim compensation. I can't see much difference in this case. :no: So, I'd be disappointed if he were to be successful with his claim.

This is very very different to the terrorist scenario you talk about. In these situations, they try to seek compensation from the the police for unlawful imprisonment/damage caused by the length of imprisonment sanctioned under the terrorism acts.

In this case, an innocent man was hounded by the press through a series of articles using terms like 'nutty professor', 'bizarre', 'loner' etc.

Look at the montage of front pages here: http://enemiesofreason.co.uk/2011/01/02/chris-jefferies-and-trial-by-media/

This guy deserves every penny he gets, there is no way had he been charged he would have received a fair trial and I would suggest his name has been permanently damaged.

In this case, an innocent man was hounded by the press through a series of articles using terms like 'nutty professor', 'bizarre', 'loner' etc.

Look at the montage of front pages here: http://enemiesofreason.co.uk/2011/01/02/chris-jefferies-and-trial-by-media/

This guy deserves every penny he gets, there is no way had he been charged he would have received a fair trial and I would suggest his name has been permanently damaged.

Having looked at your link it's clear that the papers were only reporting what had been said to them by neighbours, former pupils and staff members at the school. Some comments referred to him as 'unusual' and others painted him in a more positive light.

Fairly balanced overall. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3324998/The-strange-Mr-Jefferies-is-Joanna-Yeates-murder-suspect.html

Obviously in such a high profile case the press will dig around for information, that's what they do. It would be biased and unfair had they only printed the negative comments. However in this case they didn't do that, so I'll stand by what I said earlier. :yes:

Having looked at your link it's clear that the papers were only reporting what had been said to them by neighbours, former pupils and staff members at the school. Some comments referred to him as 'unusual' and others painted him in a more positive light.

Fairly balanced overall. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3324998/The-strange-Mr-Jefferies-is-Joanna-Yeates-murder-suspect.html

Obviously in such a high profile case the press will dig around for information, that's what they do. It would be biased and unfair had they only printed the negative comments. However in this case they didn't do that, so I'll stand by what I said earlier. :yes:

A sub-line in the article reads 'Weird, posh, lewd, creepy'. It is immaterial that the comments came from people they asked about him, they still chose to publish. The editors of these papers are smart enough to know that that will damage his reputation in the eyes of right thinking people. Just because they throw in a few contrasting comments for good measure doesn't mean they should be allowed to publish negative comments in such a damning manner.

The press also know that they aren't allowed to act in a manner that could prejudice any future trial. Publishing full pacge spreads about someone's personality, whether positive or negative is likely to do this. I'm not after an argument, I just think we have a differnt take on the situaiton and these are my reasons :good:

I am surprised the media published anything at all and that there wasn't a reporting black out - what if the bloke had to actually stand trial? How could he get a fair trial based on innocent until proven guilty.

I remember that there was a massive media frenzy at the time and the police were under enormous pressure to get a collar - when they had nothing they went for the obvious; the slightly odd looking, single, male landlord.

The editors of these papers are smart enough to know that that will damage his reputation in the eyes of right thinking people.

Surely they also know that publishing any misleading or libelous content would leave them open to litigation?

No arguments from me either, it would be a very boring world if we all sang from the same hymn sheet. :good:

Surely they also know that publishing any misleading or libelous content would leave them open to litigation?

Scandal has the benefit of selling papers unfortunately. A cynic might suggest they weigh up the cost of potential litigation against the profits from additional sales...

Anyway, I'm glad we can agree to disagree :good:

I used to live in the next road from that flat and I can tell you now the Bristolian opinion will have been 'well he must be guilty of something' or 'there's no smoke without fire' - the papers know damn well the public will think like this and slavishly gobble up all the scandal. That's why they were called Scandal Sheets in Victorian times and that's what they are now.

It sells. And even with the law suits it's still profitable to print it. I agree his life will have been ruined and won't ever be the same again.

It's amazing what normal activities we all do, when reported in a certain way, take on a sinister angle.

Consider:

"Mr X (41) and his accomplice (18), in the hours of darkness, loaded up their black land-rover with an arsenal of weapons, ammunition, ropes, powerful lamps, tarpulins and in the dead of night set their trap for their prey...Mr X was heard by neighbour Mrs Y (52) to say 'I hope we bag a few nice tones tonight.' Mrs X commented 'It sent a shiver running through me, him a mild mannered insurance broker with all those guns, I knew there was something not right about him..."

Edited by Thunderbird

I agree his life will have been ruined and won't ever be the same again.

That's a bit melodramatic! :o

If he hadn't brought a claim against the papers no-one would even remember his name.

If he's that bothered about his privacy he's gone a strange way about protecting it. :hmm:

That's a bit melodramatic! :o

If he hadn't brought a claim against the papers no-one would even remember his name.

If he's that bothered about his privacy he's gone a strange way about protecting it. :hmm:

The point is that you and I might not remember his name but his neighbours and others do. He was practically branded a perverted killer by the gutter press. Why? Because he's a bit eccentric and has funny hair! He has nothing to lose in suing those lying scumbags for as much as he can get.

TT

I know of a guy locally who was accused of a crime he didn't commit . The police caught and imprisoned the offender but the local scum youths continued to put his windows through and spray grafitti on his Walls .

An allegation is all it takes and now he's labled for life

You may forget him as he doesn't live around the corner but you can rest assured the locals won't

He was practically branded a perverted killer by the gutter press.

TT

I don't remember seeing that.

A link would be good. :good:

All I could see was a load of quotes from people who knew, or had known, a suspect in a high profile murder enquiry. :yes:

{All I could see was a load of quotes from people who knew, or had known, a suspect in a high profile murder enquiry.}

In that case I hope his lawyers sue those people as well for spreading gossip.

Dave

I don't think there's a law covering gossip (unless of course it's libelous) :o

How would you truthfully describe your neighbours or ex-colleagues etc. if asked?

The problem is that in our society the more intelligent types who actually listen to facts and form opinions based on them are the ones who don't generally go round attaching paediatricians houses because their profession starts with paed...

Life Imitates Art - Private Eye ran a cartoon of this very thing happening a few weeks before

The letter of the law is one thing but the chattering masses generally speaking don't know what it is. Therefore I stand by my argument that this bloke, as long as he lives in that house, will get pointed at as being 'gulity' of something. It shouldn't be that way, but it will be.

• 3 weeks later...