1st Fly Fishing Trip

Spaniel

I was invited out with a group of guys boat fishing on Chew Lake yesterday.

To be honest I had a few casting lessons from the CHAIRMAN on here, who kindly gave up his time and also gave me a rod plus I have been carrying out some dry casting on the field near to where I live,so I really had no idea what to expect.

WE got to Chew at around 8.30am yesterday and had a good breakfast, then it was unload the cars, pick up a life jacket and head off to our boats.

Lucky for me I was loaned a boat seat, which made the day very comfortable, :yes:

I was surprised how often we were changing flies, which was due to the conditions of the lake changing, one minute there was a strong ripple on the surface and then the next it was very calm again.

I believe we used Buzzers and Dawi Bach flies and fished them in pairs, changing to suit the conditions as mentioned above.

The guy i was with was having a really good day and after a while I hooked into my first Trout, I was trying to keep the line tight but then the fish gave a few jerks and it was off :rolleyes: O well cant win them all.

It was not long until i had another bite, and with some coaching and some patience i had my first ever Trout in the net.... :D I was thinking that they were going to be small fish but they must of all been around the 2LB mark each.

We fished until about 7pm and in total I had lost 2 and landed 2 so really happy as this was my first fly fishing session and from a boat, in total we brought home 15 Trouts weighing just over 30LB in weight, all sat nicely in my freezer.

Now the one that got away.... :lol:

We were fishing near a ledge and I was having ago on my friends rod, and i hooked the bottom, so we moved the boat and the line came lose, but then I felt a fish on, it was not jerking the line like a trout but it was just a heavy weight on the rod.

I kept the line tight and the rod was bending right over, so i was letting line off as and when it wanted, well I have never had anything so heavy on the end of a line before,the line was coming off of the reel and the power of the fish was pulling me my mate and the boat along the lake sideways....It was like a seen from Jaws where we needed a bigger boat.. :lol:

It got to the stage where we were down to the backing line on the reel and there was no stopping this beast and in the end my mate took over and all we could do was to let the line break...My mate said he as been fly fishing for 10 years and never as he had the line come off the reel like that back to the backing line, it must of been a very large Pike,what away to end the day :D

So going to have to get some more flies now and looking forward to my next trip

Cheers

Well done, sounded like an excellent day out, also sounds like you were getting some more good advice from experienced anglers which is worth more than all the books and videos there are.

It always amazes me how hard boat caught fish can fight, even better on a fly rod.

Did you get any pictures?

Sorry no pics as i was concerntrating on the fishing so left the camera at home.

But i have a nice trout ready for tea tonight and a few more in the freezer :good:

To be honest I learnt alot yesterday and had a great day out, i have to practise more on my casting as i was still not getting out far enough but that will come.

Plus learn how to attach a dropper something i have never done before but all good fun

Should of also added that i have to get use to the bites,I was expecting bangs on the rod not gentle takes,

Edited by Spaniel

I am glad you enjoyed your first fly fishing trip. :good:

Unfortunately, a lot of anglers get discouraged early on and put the fly rods away.

Effective casting is down to practise, practise and more practise.

Early in the season it takes me a while to get back into the rhythm.

The mystery fish could have been a large foulhooked pike, they grow very big in Chew.

I am glad you enjoyed your first fly fishing trip. :good:

Unfortunately, a lot of anglers get discouraged early on and put the fly rods away.

Effective casting is down to practise, practise and more practise.

Early in the season it takes me a while to get back into the rhythm.

The mystery fish could have been a large foulhooked pike, they grow very big in Chew.

I did have a couple ocassions yesterday where i was cating and the wind changed and the line ended up behind me if not attached to me, but as I have been told i had a cap and glasses on to protect me a little, but yes hard to get the hang of but very enjoyable.

Yep we also think it was a Pike would of been great to land it, but i think i was hoping for far to much but gave us a good laugh

Cheers

Edited by Spaniel

Thanks Duncan, that will come in handy, :good:

The Mrs as already said that i better ensure i use all the gear and i have already had a chat with a guy about a few trips out, just got to fix a date/time..

Got to admit i cooked one of the trout for my tea tonight, and even made a nice little sauce, Gordon Ramsey eat your heart out :lol:

God it was delicious, just another 11 to get through in the freezer :lol:

I have ordered 112 Buzzers and 25 Daiwl Bachs already for my next outing for under £19 including a box for the Buzzers and been up the field twice so far this week casting

practise, practise, practise as they say :lol:

Cheers

So going to have to get some more flies now and looking forward to my next trip

Cheers

just wait untill you start fly tying! then your hooked! ive been fly tying since before i went fly fishing i like it more than the fishing :blush: ile maybe have to send you some down, always keen to help a newby

sounds good highseas :good:

I am thinking about giving this ago at some stage but not quite yet, still got a bit to do with the casting at present,just need to find some time to myself between pheasant shooting/wildfowling/dogs/fishing club/fly fishing and family and i will be fine :lol:

Thanks Duncan, that will come in handy, :good:

The Mrs as already said that i better ensure i use all the gear and i have already had a chat with a guy about a few trips out, just got to fix a date/time..

Got to admit i cooked one of the trout for my tea tonight, and even made a nice little sauce, Gordon Ramsey eat your heart out :lol:

God it was delicious, just another 11 to get through in the freezer :lol:

I have ordered 112 Buzzers and 25 Daiwl Bachs already for my next outing for under £19 including a box for the Buzzers and been up the field twice so far this week casting

practise, practise, practise as they say :lol:

Cheers

To help with your timing try an 7/8wt line on a 6 wt rod, it'll help you feel the rod load on the backcast, then remember just to tap forward an Robert's your sisters brother....don't force it or you'll be swishing away with the line doing figure of eights and getting frustrated! If you need to borrow a rod at any time drop me a PM, or if you're looking to but a cheapo rod the Sumo rods on ebay were brilliant value for money if they still do them and you end up liking a fastish action? Good luck, but sadly it's a slippery slope where you'll end up with loads of lovely flashy reels/flies/line and more rods than you can shake a stick at!

Cheers Mate

I am suffering abit with the figure of eight on the back cast at present and i know its due to me pulling the rod back to far, easy to fix with no rod in my hand but as soon as i grab the rod i am pulling back to far, i shall have another practise tomorrow evening up the field :rolleyes:

Everyone has their faults, just like shooting.

I 'push' the rod forward if I don't check myself, if I find myself doing it I pin my elbow against the side of my body and it's all fixed.

They used to get people to hold a book there to cure that one by all accounts.

My fishing partner takes his rod back to what would be almost the 3 o'clock position, but still gets a good line out so doesn't understand when I tell him it's all wrong.

Despite the hideous layout and the ridiculous number of sections this is the most popular flyfishing forums in the UK, there are some very experienced fishers on there so it's mine of information

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/