how many no's

darren 67

how many no's did you get before getting your permision. asked about 10 or 11 today out of those got to call 1 back as the man of the house was out at the cricket and could not give an answer.the lady said but dont be dissapointed if he says no because we already have a few shooters come on the land as it is.

You are right to see it as a numbers game.

If your hit rate for yesses is 1 in 10, you know that every 'no' is one step closer to a yes.

Most of my new shooting land comes by association now

"I've been shooting for farmer X for a while now and I was wondering if I could help out on your land too?" or words to that effect have held me in good stead.

Good luck :good:

You are right to see it as a numbers game.

If your hit rate for yesses is 1 in 10, you know that every 'no' is one step closer to a yes.

Most of my new shooting land comes by association now

"I've been shooting for farmer X for a while now and I was wondering if I could help out on your land too?" or words to that effect have held me in good stead.

Good luck :good:

Yes I've just picked up another farm because the chap was also a tenant on one I already had. We met when he was putting out scarers and I had a few pigeons in my bag with the fully modded 20g. Called on him at his own farm some time later and bingo :good:

already got one small permision that does wheat/barley. only found it any good around harvest time so thought i would try for some more. can see why people get disheartened and end up paying for pigeon shooting. cost of running around to be told no could easily outweigh the cost of a yearly fee to a club or syndicate. oh well ill keep on trying i suppose.

already got one small permision that does wheat/barley. only found it any good around harvest time so thought i would try for some more. can see why people get disheartened and end up paying for pigeon shooting. cost of running around to be told no could easily outweigh the cost of a yearly fee to a club or syndicate. oh well ill keep on trying i suppose.

Definitely keep on trying. The results are worth it!

The other thing to remember is, that even when you have 'enough' permissions to keep an eye/ear out for other opportunities.

The thing is that every now and then you'll lose a permission, whether a change of owners/tenants or, in the cae of one of my perms a couple of years ago, the owner goes a bit 'funny' or senile! The old chap in question had a nice little place and I shot hundreds of rabbits for him so that his horses would actually have some grass to eat in their paddocks.

I mended fences for him, checked on him when he was ill etc and then one day, with his middle aged daughter present told me that he didn't want me around anymore. :blink:

I asked why, pointing out that I'd been nothing but nice (and beneficial) to him. His reply was "well perhaps I'm not a nice person".

Weird, but there you go.

Another perm I lost due to the land being rented out to a tennant who already had a ferreting ffriend - might give that one another knock actually as most ferreters I know aren't active til close to the autumn. :good:

So keep it up! And keep topping up your permissions. Possibly with the exception of Colin lad! He actually has more than he could handle :lol:

Lucky enough never to have been turned down, had to turn farmers down though, at the moment i`m trying to ditch some of my permission but I keep offering shooting so I can meet a few people and offer them the land if i get on well with them but had no takers.

That's a pretty nice situation to be in! I've just moved up to Northants so need to get somewhere local now!