Meat prep in the field.

Dynamic85

I like to skin and gut my rabbits in the field, then by the time I get back to the car, I have a nice collection of just meat, and not all the messy bits to take home and dispose of. Currently, I'm just doing it on the ground and getting fur, grass, soil and leaves all over the good bits, which is a lot harder to wash off than it should be.

Short of taking a chopping board out with me in the field, how do you guys prep your kills without making a mess, and if you have got stray fur hair on the meat, how do you get it off, as washing just seems to move it around?

Thanks.

i got taught to hock the rapbbit, hang it on a tree by the back legs.

make a small insission at the ankle of the rear legs, put your fingers in the insision holes and pull down untill you get to the head.

twist and pull the head off, or cut its up to you.

then open the belly up like normal, as far as you can go.

grab the neck and rear legs, sort of bend the backbone away from you slightly and one quick fing sling all the guts out.

then hang back up :)

just my way of doing things :)

i got taught to hock the rapbbit, hang it on a tree by the back legs.

make a small insission at the ankle of the rear legs, put your fingers in the insision holes and pull down untill you get to the head.

twist and pull the head off, or cut its up to you.

Huh? You're saying you skin the rabbit from the ankles?

Just paunch in the field - a quick slit and flick - and do the rest at home.

I have crowned pigeons in the field but if you've got lots you end up with a very visable feathery mess right next to the field and the farmer may not like that too much.

Pee and gut them in the field as soon as they are shot - A quick slit and flick and they're done! Then either hock and hang them for retrieval on the return journey or put in my shooting bag (Inside a plastic "pedal bin bag") and leave the skinning till I get back to the motor where I use a piece of ply wood that I carry in the back or the motor as a "cutting board" so that I am not working on the grass or soil!

The entrails and "waste" are usually all gone by the following morning!

Pee and gut them in the field as soon as they are shot - A quick slit and flick and they're done! Then either hock and hang them for retrieval on the return journey or put in my shooting bag (Inside a plastic "pedal bin bag") and leave the skinning till I get back to the motor where I use a piece of ply wood that I carry in the back or the motor as a "cutting board" so that I am not working on the grass or soil!

The entrails and "waste" are usually all gone by the following morning!

I wouldn't be too keen putting anything in a Plastic bag, if it is a warm day it will make it sweat badly which could turn the meat rancid :no:

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting John mate! Just one question - I see that the guts came out while you were skinning it, did you make a slit for that first of did it happen autonatically as you were exerting the downwards pull on the skin?