Now thats a lot of *******

The European Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) is a species of rabbit native to the Iberian Peninsula and Northwest Africa. It has been widely introduced to countries on all continents with the exception of Antarctica and Sub-Saharan Africa, often with devastating effects on local biodiversity. In Australia particularly, twelve pairs of rabbits introduced in 1859 became millions in just ten years, the fastest spread ever recorded of any mammal anywhere in the world.

Just a little insight as how fast rabbits can an will breed if left to do so with out control.

Now thats what i call super fast breeding.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

Heard before that they will have a litter of young every 30 days and will breed pretty much 10 months of the year. That means one doe will have 70-80 rabbits in the one year (I find there are usually 7-8 rabbits in each litter).

Heard before that they will have a litter of young every 30 days and will breed pretty much 10 months of the year. That means one doe will have 70-80 rabbits in the one year (I find there are usually 7-8 rabbits in each litter).

In thoery, but unlikely to get near that in reality. If the conditions are right I would think a doe would produce 3-4 litters a year, and (if no one is controlling them) maybe half of the young would survive to adulthood so that would be around 15-20 new rabbits per year per doe.

Thats still a pretty fast and small group 20 rabbits could, if unchecked, produce a breeding population of 200 by the end of the year.

In thoery, but unlikely to get near that in reality. If the conditions are right I would think a doe would produce 3-4 litters a year, and (if no one is controlling them) maybe half of the young would survive to adulthood so that would be around 15-20 new rabbits per year per doe.

Thats still a pretty fast and small group 20 rabbits could, if unchecked, produce a breeding population of 200 by the end of the year.

I would say they produce more than 4 litters in a year. I understand that at certain times of the year that the survival rate will not be good (i.e. weather conditions and high rate of predation). I find if rabbits are left in an area without controlling their numbers that disease will eventually set in. Does anyone have any idea how old a Doe rabbit needs to be until it reaches breeding maturity?

I would say they produce more than 4 litters in a year. I understand that at certain times of the year that the survival rate will not be good (i.e. weather conditions and high rate of predation). I find if rabbits are left in an area without controlling their numbers that disease will eventually set in. Does anyone have any idea how old a Doe rabbit needs to be until it reaches breeding maturity?

Roughly 4 months old I think. Not many rabbits will last more than a year in the wild though so their populations can rise and fall dramatically from year to year.