Help with Sound Moderator

Ballie

I have just bought a Tikka T3 lite Stainless/Synthetic in .243, I am thinking of putting a sound moderator on it and was thinking of either a Reflex T4 or T8, can anyone tell me which would suit best?

Also does a sound moderator increase or decrease rifles accuracy? And can anyone recommend a gunsmith you can do the job well in Norfolk?

Why do some gunsmiths say the rifle needs reproofing and some say it doesn't?

Edited by Ballie

T8, think you will find the T4 is designed for .223 max.

a silencer neather increases or decreases a rifles accuracy. It just changes the harmonics of the barrel and as such might mean another round may shoot better with a silencer fitted.

When my dad fitted his T4 to his .222 he noticed a drop in accuracy, where as when we fitted the T8 to the 6.5x55 he noticed an increase in accuracy.

<should> get more accurate, but not always as Nick said.

No, you don't have to have either proofed or reproofed, unless you sell them, and even then you can state they are unproofed. In other words don't tey selling them as proofed if they are not :*)

If you don't find a local riflesmith I can recommend one who will do it for £50 + p&p (you just post him the barrel and he does the rest) and he get it back to you the next day - and he is good.

Baillie,

I have a T8 on my Tikka T3 .243 and I can't fault it.

Sound moderation is very good, balance changes are hardly noticeable.

I'm just having my .270 screwed and proofed for a T8 also.

Both mine have been re-proofed because I like to know everything is perfect if I ever come to sell the kit.

One thing I found, is that removing and replacing my T8 does not change

the point of aim at all....which I think is extremely important.

Edited by Browning

Thanks for help so far guys, I think you can get a T4 in .243 has anyone out there got a T4 fitted to this cal? I would like to know if the sound reduction on the T4 is much different from a T8.

I am just thinking of weight V sound reduction.

My mate has just finished a phone call earlier today saying how bad his T8 is as he has had less than 200 rounds down it and already it is rusting badly.

This may be a problem for him but I think if you do a search on this site and you will find not more than a month or two ago some pictures.

That is why I am now the proud owner of a Wildcat mod,if it rusts or is in anyway bad I will be the first to tell it on these pages with full colour piccys,and an apology.

No, you don't have to have either proofed or reproofed, unless you sell them, and even then you can state they are unproofed. In other words don't tey selling them as proofed if they are not :*)

If you don't find a local riflesmith I can recommend one who will do it for £50 + p&p (you just post him the barrel and he does the rest) and he get it back to you the next day - and he is good.

Sorry but you cannot sell a gun that is unproofed - there are no exceptions other than a sale to an RFD

Thanks for help so far guys, I think you can get a T4 in .243 has anyone out there got a T4 fitted to this cal? I would like to know if the sound reduction on the T4 is much different from a T8.

The T8 will give improved sound reduction albeit for a slight increase in weight.

If you choose to go for a T8 I may be able to save you £50.

I have a new (unfitted) T8 for £160 suitable for calibres up to 25Cal

T8 / 6.18 / 1/2" x 28 UNEF / 22mm dia (up to 25 mm)

Go for the T8 use mine on my .222 & .270, no change in accuracy and as long as you look after it is shouldn't rust.

The T4 only has 4 baffles and the T8 8 baffles, so the more baffles the better the sound reduction :D

Edited by kip270

No, you don't have to have either proofed or reproofed, unless you sell them, and even then you can state they are unproofed.  In other words don't tey selling them as proofed if they are not  :*)

Sorry but you cannot sell a gun that is unproofed - there are no exceptions other than a sale to an RFD

:D this should be intresting :D

So long as it's stamped accordingly at the rear of the moderator BOTH T4 and T8 are rated for sporting and target rifles up to 30-06 Spr.

T4 extends over the barrel by 65mm and weighs 580g

T8 extends over the barrel by 100mm and weighs 670g

Just to fan the flames a bit you can't sell a gun that is KNOWINGLY out of proof

The problem here is how does the RFD know the firearm will pass at the proof house .

There could be terms agreed prior to sale but I feel the RFD will sign the gun back in and send it away for proofing and await the results before agreeing to any sale .

Best advice is that you can't sell a gun out of proof to ANYONE !

If you go to a gun sale there are often stock and actions for sale because the guns are out of proof you are not allowed to have the barrels BUT an RFD can. In the same way and RFD can buy or otherwise acquire a weapon that is out of proof and then sell it on to another RFD without reproofing it but should it be sold to a FAC or SGC holder it must first be re-proofed. There are no other exceptions for normal circumstances for those that hold a SGC or a FAC.

Remember................

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Having now read up a bit more about it and read the advise thats been given here I think I will go for a T8, I have found a local gunsmith who will supply and fit for £200 (Richard Smith - Alsham Norfolk) it will not be reproofed but if I want to sell the rifle I will get the barrel reproofed, as far as I understand the silencer is not part of the barrel so it does not need reproofing, you can read all about this on http://www.reflexsuppressors.co.uk/

Not sure if this is relevant any more but in the last week i have had a chat with 2 gunsmiths about getting a T8 silencer fitted to my new rifle.....Both stated that the T8 is not worth a rub. The gunsmith i was talking to tonight strongly advised against getting one fitted due to corrosion and proofing problems. I don't think i'll be buying a T8 mod for my rifle then :/

CHECK IT HAS 30 CAL STAMPED ON THE REAR ...........and not 25 cal :/

Why when it is for a 243?

A 30 cal silencer will be less efective !?!

Miffy

Not sure if this is relevant any more but in the last week i have had a chat with 2 gunsmiths about getting a T8 silencer fitted to my new rifle.....Both stated that the T8 is not worth a rub. The gunsmith i was talking to tonight strongly advised against getting one fitted due to corrosion and proofing problems. I don't think i'll be buying a T8 mod for my rifle then

Should you aquire a larger calibre in the futre then you have the option of using the same moderator for it and not having to fork out for another £200.

Miffy

At the end of the day there will be pros and cons to the main 3 moderator s .......Best bet is to research opinions on the users who have them :/

Miffy

At the end of the day there will be pros and cons to the main 3 moderator s .......Best bet is to research opinions on the users who have them  :/

Ive

i have used a T8 moderator and was pleased with its performance.........But the both gunsmiths mentioned substandard welds which in my book is never a good thing, both have used them and both will sell me one as its my choice as to what i buy and its money in their pocket ......but both strongly advised against. I have limited knowledge with one but these guys know what they are talking about. One mentioned the amount of them that he has seen fail proofing. He said he has heard of gunshops saying that they dont need proofing (because they know of the inherent problems when proofing these moderators) and a few other comments he made about them. Just made me think twice really thats all

Edited by miffy