Any thoughts on Good air rifles?

Maulrage

Hi all, new to shooting and just doing some research on it but was hoping for opinions on Air Rifles, got it narrowed down to two I really like the look of, The Weihrauch HW97K MkII Thumbhole or The Air Arms TX200 MK3, I'm leaning towards the Weihrauch but want to know if there's any way to increase the power because it say's the TX200 MK3 is more powerful, any ideas? or are they much the same?

So much comes down to the size of your budget.

Personally I would always buy a regulated PCP type and .177 for the flatter trajectory.

My favourite gun is the Rapid 7 Mk2, it puts a smile on my face every time I use it.

You can easily spend a thousand pounds on rifle, scope, air tank.

But... If you make the right purchase you will never look over your shoulder and wish you bought something else....

Hi and welcome to the forum,from your first post i assume your looking at a spring powered rifle as opposed to a P.C.P.

The choices youve mentioned are probably about as good as it gets in the world of springers with the notable exception of the Air arms pro-sport which in my own personal opinion is the best value for money springer out of the box, as well as being very nice looking with the cocking lever being neatly tucked away in the stock,it still uses the TX action and C.D. triggerunit.

As for power the other guys have already put you right on this one any thing over 12 ft/lbs is classed as a firearm and requires you to have the appropriate certificate ,the penaltys for going over the limit are VERY severe there are one or two cases going through the courts at the moment,anyway you'll find that 10 ft/lbs to 11ft/lbs should be more then enough for general target and small vermin or pest shooting.

Again welcome to the forum and dont be afraid to ask as many questions as you need before parting with your hard earned cash. :good:

out of the box the TX tends to be better

i own a mk1 hw77k thats home tuned and shoots very nice but my new TX is superb and shocked me to be honest

trigger is light and crisp ,very little recoil and with a silencer on iv'e herd some pcp's louder .

Thanks all for the warm welcome, You're right Jega, I'm going with the spring powered, I've only ever fired twice and both were springers its for rabbits/small poultry and target practice. I was asking about the power because on the web shop I've been looking at them on it says that the TX200 is 15ft/lbs but the HW97K is only 11ft/lbs was not aware of the law on anything over 12ft/lbs though, thanks for cluing me in, don't want to get done. Also was looking at scopes for it to, The Hawke Sport High Definition 3-9x50 or the Hawke Nite-Eye 4-16x50, looking for good light gathering ability and quality, any ideas between these 2 or do you know a better one?

Thanks all for the warm welcome, You're right Jega, I'm going with the spring powered, I've only ever fired twice and both were springers its for rabbits/small poultry and target practice. I was asking about the power because on the web shop I've been looking at them on it says that the TX200 is 15ft/lbs but the HW97K is only 11ft/lbs was not aware of the law on anything over 12ft/lbs though, thanks for cluing me in, don't want to get done. Also was looking at scopes for it to, The Hawke Sport High Definition 3-9x50 or the Hawke Nite-Eye 4-16x50, looking for good light gathering ability and quality, any ideas between these 2 or do you know a better one?

Hi

I'm speaking as a novice here, as my other two air rifles are pretty antique, have no scopes, and I've only just got back into shooting.

I bought a HW97K Thumbhole a week ago, and my son-in-law bought a TX200 a few weeks before that. Having spent quite a bit of time together plinking and zeroing them in I think we'd both agree there's nothing between them. We have noticed already that both guns respond differently depending on the pellets used, and I'm pretty sure that would offset any minor differences in settings the manufacturers may have set them at (below 12ft/lb) - after all we are talking about fractions of a pounds aren't we? Most folk will tell you that both guns need to be "run-in" as well and won't be performing at their best until you've put a couple of tims of pellets through them.

As far as accuracy and penetration goes I honestly don't think either has the upper hand. They are both superb. I chose the Thumbhole because I'm a lefty, and I find it really comfortable to use - (as does my TX200 shooting son-in-law). TBH I think they are both lovely guns and I would be just as proud to own a TX200 if I could have got a left-handed version.

The only thing they both suffer with is in the weight area. At 9lbs+ (with scope etc.) they take some lugging around, and having just fired a few shots with my son's HW80K (which is only a few pounds less) it really brought home how heavy they are!

I'm sorry I've not really helped sell either gun to you - but I couldn't honestly put one over the other. If I was pushed maybe I'd say "Buy British" because of being patriotic or something, but that's the only reason! :lol:

Cheers

Ken

PS - I've got a Hawke Sport HD IR 3-9x50 AO IR scope on mine. I have no experience of the other scope, but I'm well pleased with it - especially as I only intend to shoot in dawn/daylight/dusk times.

As spookytooth mentions, both excellent guns, the best thing to do is to go and give them a feel in a shop and see which sits comfortably against the shoulder for you.

A good place to start with in terms of the legality behind air rifles would be http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/air-rifles.cfm

The last thing you want to do is get yourself into trouble!

Good luck with your purchase :)

I can't stand them. Bottles leak,front heavy,ugly,now what you need is a nice airarms s400 ;)

Each to their own. I have not had a problem with leaking, but I had mine modded with a front quick fill by A&M. I know this is personal taste, I do prefer heavy guns.

:)