This should cheer a few of us up

I'm just reading Shotgun Marksmanship by Percy Stanbury - published in 1962. I've been a bit worried about the standard of my shooting recently, so this bit cheered me up:

"...a highly skilled gentleman [Archie Coats I assume] who killed 550 pigeon in a day.....and the other shot who expended 250 cartridges and only managed to kill three birds. Both performances must have affected the shooters' averages."

I think it's fair to say that the standard of my shooting falls somewhere between the two!

Its not about how many pigeons you kill on the day ,more about how many opportunity's you have on the day . Its not a kill to ratio of cartridges its about enjoying yourself . A very true story of birds killed on a day comes from a book of memorable English shoots . Prince Charles was shooting on the last drive of the day and shot two birds after the whistle had blown for the finish of the drive . A neighboring gun said to Charles you will have to have a good reason to tell old George the head keeper as to why you shot after the whistle . Old George went straight over to Charles and said " dont you ever do that again " Charles replied ," I am sorry for shooting after the whistle but I needed two more birds to make my 500 . George replied , " Its not the shooting after the whistle that bothers me its the shooting of 500 of my birds that I dont like ."

Harnser

On a serious note: A very interesting post. Made me smile.

On a Less serious note: Why are you worried about your shooting? I'd be more concerned about my reading speed.1962 to Date is approx 49yrs, Have you finished the Magazine yet?

Cheers Pete

On a serious note: A very interesting post. Made me smile.

On a Less serious note: Why are you worried about your shooting? I'd be more concerned about my reading speed.1962 to Date is approx 49yrs, Have you finished the Magazine yet?

Cheers Pete

:lol:

Actually, I've just realised that this was one of the shooting books I read as a teenager. And I've also just realised that, being a teenager, I only adopted some of the advice in the book and ignored the most important. But now, I think I may know where I've been going wrong.

Its not about how many pigeons you kill on the day ,more about how many opportunity's you have on the day . Its not a kill to ratio of cartridges its about enjoying yourself . A very true story of birds killed on a day comes from a book of memorable English shoots . Prince Charles was shooting on the last drive of the day and shot two birds after the whistle had blown for the finish of the drive . A neighboring gun said to Charles you will have to have a good reason to tell old George the head keeper as to why you shot after the whistle . Old George went straight over to Charles and said " dont you ever do that again " Charles replied ," I am sorry for shooting after the whistle but I needed two more birds to make my 500 . George replied , " Its not the shooting after the whistle that bothers me its the shooting of 500 of my birds that I dont like ."

Harnser

how many really enjoy it if you have shot bad....be honest.

i have had some of my best days shooting just pottering around for the odd pheasant,partridge, and stray pigeon that happens to fly over while walking round with dog and gun then finishing with a duck flight..can,t beat them days