Deer stalking and estate rifle

Hi,

Can anyone clear a legal matter out for me. I am after booking some accompanied Roe stalking using an estate rifle for my 16 year old son and myself.

I have been told that it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to use an estate rifle, is this correct?

I have just phoned BASC but they are closed, will phone tomorrow, but if anyone could clear this up for me tonight would be good.

Reggiegun

The following is from the Home Office Guidance on Firearms Law. I've highlighted the relevant bit.

Borrowed rifles on private premises

6.16 Section 16(1) of the 1988 Act enables a person to borrow a rifle from the occupier of private premises and to use it on those premises in the presence of either the occupier or their servant without holding a firearm certificate in respect of that rifle. It should be noted that this gives slightly more flexibility in the use of a borrowed rifle than is permissible with the use of a shot gun as described in paragraph 6.14, in that the borrowed rifle can also be used in the presence of the servant of the occupier. However, the occupier and/or their servant must hold a firearm certificate in respect of

the firearm being used, and the borrower, who must be accompanied by the certificate holder (whether it is the occupier or their servant), must comply with the conditions of the certificate. These may include a safekeeping requirement and, in some cases, territorial restrictions. Section 57(4) of the 1968 Act defines “premises” as including any land. The effect of the provision is to allow a person visiting a private estate to borrow and use a rifle without a certificate. The exemption does not extend to persons under the age of 17 or to other types of firearm. There is no notification required on the loan of a firearm under these circumstances. A borrowed rifle should not be specifically identified as such on a “keeper’s” or “landowner’s” firearm certificate. The term “in the presence of” is not defined in law but is generally interpreted as being within sight and earshot.

Hi,

Can anyone clear a legal matter out for me. I am after booking some accompanied Roe stalking using an estate rifle for my 16 year old son and myself.

I have been told that it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to use an estate rifle, is this correct?

I have just phoned BASC but they are closed, will phone tomorrow, but if anyone could clear this up for me tonight would be good.

Reggiegun

Talk to whoever is offering the accompanied Roe stalking for clarification, there are plenty of ways a youngster can legally use rifles!

Dekers you obviously didn't read my post above! :rolleyes:

Oh Dear!

Chap, I really don't know what you are suggesting, but there are plenty of "Young" people with a FAC and there are plenty of people under age who use "ESTATE" rifles perfectly legally, just like my lad did for several years, (before he got his own FAC/SGC), with the blessing of the Police!

You need to know the terms of the Paid shoot!

There are LOADS of ways youngsters can use FAC tools!

:good:

The OP appears to have asked the wrong question and/or worded it badly, unless this is not as he makes out!

This is not an Estate Rifle, it appears by implication a rifle used on a Paid Stalk, that, as I have made clear depends on the conditions/terms of the company offering this service. IF it is simply accompanied by the Occupier, then I agree that is the way, but even then there are ways round it. My lad accompanied me, as occupier, under the age of 17 with the blessing of the Police!

How about this then, can a 5 year old borrow a .357 Win Mag at a Home Office Approved Rifle club and USE IT?!

Put things another way, are you all seriously suggesting that NOBODY under 17 can use a Firearm or even have one on FAC under any circumstances?

B*******!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Dekers

Neatly set out information here: http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/document-summary.cfm/docid/1F23558B-FA1D-42CE-8EA798BC75FD9D26

Can't find law that allows someone under 17 to use a rifle without an fac outside of a HO approved club, can anyone shed light on this? :hmm:

One to think about ...carefully

Can you find a law that says my lad, who does NOT have an Open FAC, can shoot on ANY land whilst out with me whether it is cleared or not using HIS rifle!

Yet he can! :yes::yes:

So I guess every farmer/stalker/pest controller/"sports shooter"/etc who has ever let their son/daughter under 17 use his rifle has broken the law as well, I guess we need to build a few more prisons then!

:lol::lol::good:

Edited by Dekers

One to think about ...carefully

Can you find a law that says my lad, who does NOT have an Open FAC, can shoot on ANY land whilst out with me whether it is cleared or not using HIS rifle!

Yet he can! :yes::yes:

So I guess every farmer/stalker/pest controller/"sports shooter"/etc who has ever let their son/daughter under 17 use his rifle has broken the law as well, I guess we need to build a few more prisons then!

:lol::lol::good:

What it does show is that firearms law is a scrambled mess