HW100 power down

Rich106

Anybody got ideas how to take it down to around 11-11.5? I cannot wind the allen bolt down under the back plate cos its bolted.

Would re-arranging the disc springs in the regulator make any difference or tightening the bolt which the disc springs sit under make any difference?

Thanks,

Rich.

Edited by Rich106

they need to check what it CAN produce, as the users word that they wont do it isnt enough.... i havnt seen any policy mind you, just from my experainces when i got my gun chrono'd.

when i got my ratty chrono'd the gunsmiths wound in the power adjuster as far as it would go and still cock as he said thats what the police would do.

i guess it would also be a point of, how could you prove that you've only ever used pellet "X"?

not trying to put a downer on it, its just not worth a firearms offence. it may not be the case and you saying you only use pellets of X weight i'd check it, just seems unlikely

Sorry Rich I can't help you with what you need to do re:lowering the power of your particular gun.

I just wanted to point out that there IS worded documentation to the police from the home office regarding airguns.

Firearms and ammunition for which

no certificate is required

2.26 Firearm and shot gun certificates are

required in respect of the majority of firearms

and ammunition. However, the following

types are exempt:

i) Air weapons and ammunition for air

and gas-operated weapons

Air guns, air rifles and air pistols are exempt

from the certification requirement if they are

not of a type declared specially dangerous

by the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons)

Rules 1969 or the Firearms (Dangerous Air

Weapons) (Scotland) Rules 1969.

The Rules provide that any air weapon is

“specially dangerous” if it is capable of

discharging a missile so that the missile has,

on being discharged from the muzzle of the

weapon, kinetic energy in excess, in the case

of an air pistol, of 6 foot lbs or, in the case

of an air weapon other than an air pistol,

12 foot lbs.

This has been copied from the home office guidance to police.

The crucial part is the last paragraph particularly the word "capable"Which translates to the Police as if it can go over then by definition it is a sect'1 firearm.

Mike...

they need to check what it CAN produce, as the users word that they wont do it isnt enough.... i havnt seen any policy mind you, just from my experainces when i got my gun chrono'd.

when i got my ratty chrono'd the gunsmiths wound in the power adjuster as far as it would go and still cock as he said thats what the police would do.

i guess it would also be a point of, how could you prove that you've only ever used pellet "X"?

not trying to put a downer on it, its just not worth a firearms offence. it may not be the case and you saying you only use pellets of X weight i'd check it, just seems unlikely

Another urban myth.

Whilst the law says that any weapon capable of exceeding 12 ft/lb needs a licence in practice from 25 years in the police the only time a weapon would be checked is if there were aggravating circumstances. Anyone with a HW100 pushing 12.2 ft/lb and no signs of any tampering would not be prosecuted. There rifle would have to go to a RFD for de-tuning at the owner's expense. The only time the police are likely to actually test the gun is if they had suspicions that it had been tampered with and / or was obviously well over the limit.

I have only had one gun oficially tested and that was after I had a local gunsmith run it over his Chrono' at 18 ft/lb. The reason I had it tested in the first place is that it kicked like a mule and needed a fair old pull to cock. The owner was being prosecuted for armed trespass and half a dozen other W&C offences.

If you have an air weapon that has no signs of tampering, is not obviously over the limit and you are otherwise legal you have nothing to fear other than a repair bill and inconveniance.

surely then your in possession of a firearm?

when i got my ratty chrono'd the RFD told me when the police test it (or rather if) they would see what it could make, although he was referring to my power adjuster.

i think technically they should use the pellet they you have in your possession andare found using. they could use a super heavy pellet and make an 11ft/lb gun (with a average pellet) way over the limit with the heavy pellet.... but doing that is naughty on they're behalf, there was actually a court case about this.

the shooter came out on top in the end, but it was a long journey! basically the police tried to shaft him by using a heavy pellet.....

makes me wonder how vague the laws on firearms & air rifles are in some examples!

Another urban myth.

Whilst the law says that any weapon capable of exceeding 12 ft/lb needs a licence in practice from 25 years in the police the only time a weapon would be checked is if there were aggravating circumstances. Anyone with a HW100 pushing 12.2 ft/lb and no signs of any tampering would not be prosecuted. There rifle would have to go to a RFD for de-tuning at the owner's expense. The only time the police are likely to actually test the gun is if they had suspicions that it had been tampered with and / or was obviously well over the limit.

I have only had one gun oficially tested and that was after I had a local gunsmith run it over his Chrono' at 18 ft/lb. The reason I had it tested in the first place is that it kicked like a mule and needed a fair old pull to cock. The owner was being prosecuted for armed trespass and half a dozen other W&C offences.

If you have an air weapon that has no signs of tampering, is not obviously over the limit and you are otherwise legal you have nothing to fear other than a repair bill and inconveniance.

:good::good::good::good:

I'm sorry, but any person who is in possession of an 11.9ft/lbs air gun is theoretically in possession of a S1 firearm, given the right ammo.

One pellet will give you 11.9, another 10 and there will be one out there that'll give 12.5ft/lbs.

I honestly think that people get so caught up in all this and fail to accept that the police will have a margin of error when it comes to checking an air gun.

It's completely flawed and should be a measurement of the gun, not the energy the bullet is carrying.

surely then your in possession of a firearm?

when i got my ratty chrono'd the RFD told me when the police test it (or rather if) they would see what it could make, although he was referring to my power adjuster.

i think technically they should use the pellet they you have in your possession andare found using. they could use a super heavy pellet and make an 11ft/lb gun (with a average pellet) way over the limit with the heavy pellet.... but doing that is naughty on they're behalf, there was actually a court case about this.

the shooter came out on top in the end, but it was a long journey! basically the police tried to shaft him by using a heavy pellet.....

makes me wonder how vague the laws on firearms & air rifles are in some examples!

You are believing gossip from other people rather than personal experience. All laws are open to interpretation. They are designed that way to keep solicitors and barristers in jobs.

The laws fairly clear but its only ever enforced in 2 ways. You do something stupid to make the firearms unit want to check your rifle or you take it into for a repair and your rfd finds it overpowered. If your RFD is worth there salt they will approach it with some realism and in your case just detune. I mod all my guns. If I went with a rifle that was anything other than a few ftlbs over the legal limt I'd expect them to keep my gun and inform the law.

If your doing something stupid and the police test your gun then regardless of the power output you should have it taken off you because as firearms holders we have a responsibility not to be 'stupid'. The only difference will be the nature of the offence!

As long as your not home tuning and then shooting birds in your neighbours garden, I personally believe everyones to hung up on the issue!