nppc

mask1954

Not a rip off at all :rolleyes: you may have had a poor experience, it may not have been for you but a little unfair to class it as a con, which you effectively have!

I joined NPPC after a very long break from pigeon shooting. I didn't have the time or inclination to go and get rejected 200 times before getting a scratty bit of land to shoot over somewhere! Getting permissions isn't that easy nowadays, Pigeon shooting is very popular and most farmers will already have someone shooting the land. You may get lucky but it is more likely that you will spend months knocking on doors and get nowhere.

The NPPC offers a good, value for money alternative... as long as they have land near you! I was lucky, plenty near me but the important thing is it gave me plenty of shooting locally, right away without the headache and heartache of trying to find somewhere to shoot.

Don't listen to the nay sayers, give it a whirl... It's easy to crticize something when you have moved on and no longer need it!

Edit... just looking at the negative posters comments... if they were in the locations in their sigs when they were members, it's hardly surprising they had a poor experience, there is little of no NPPC land near them! As far as I am aware, there is quite a bit near Hull

Edited by Vipa

I am with vipa :good: having been a member of nppc i found John shooter very help ful :good: And met some good guys who i am still in touch with who took me under their wing and introduced me to pigeon shooting :good: Their is more than enough land on the field lists for any body who is a member :good: And for £125 start up divide that over 12 months its a bloody bargain :good:

Its gives you instant access to Land :good:

I'll vouch for the NPPC as well. A lot of land around me that has potential, I joined late in the year so missed the early rape shooting.. i am waiting for the harvest before i give it a go. (no flattened areas to talk of and I dont use a dog)

Gaz

i join every 2 or 3 years when we have no winter rape on our perms and that happens a fair bit or when we do,sometimes birds don,t use it in any real numbers so i join up knowing i will have access to dozens of rape fields and never short of an oppurtunity to get out and have a look,and more often than not shoot.

only snag i have to travel at least 60 miles to get to the nearest rape on the list but i don,t mind doing it and getting decent bags sometimes very good bags. between jan and april.

then return to a few areas in summer and make some really good bags on the harvested rape. :good:

Big :good: from me...

you have to be prepared to work at it a bit...but its all part of the enjoyment...you also have to be prepared to travel a bit.

but if you put the effort in then its well worth the money....John is a great bloke, he has been ever so helpful to myself and my son.

you can put a lot of fuel in your car for £150 mate.. and if you get a result the farmer will also let you come and go as you wish, with your dogs and mabie do a bit of lamping,

Don't know where you buy your fuel mate but that's a tank and a half in my truck... about 4 days worth!

Don't know where you buy your fuel mate but that's a tank and a half in my truck... about 4 days worth!

there you go then... you got 4 days of traveling to get some permission you can shoot on. my point is that you pay your hard earned then still have to phone up to see if its ok to go shooting..

you can put a lot of fuel in your car for £150 mate.. and if you get a result the farmer will also let you come and go as you wish, with your dogs and mabie do a bit of lamping,

know what your saying, we have permissions,but like most people the pigeons are not on them 12 months of the year,so to fill in the months and that can be up to 6 months at times being a member keeps you going. and get 12 months membership for half the cost of 1 driven pheasant day,think about that, it,s worked for me in the past and i think phoning up before you go is an advantage because you can find out if anyone has shot the area or fields recently,also that field or fields are reserved for you so know you will have it to yourself

Edited by yickdaz

there you go then... you got 4 days of traveling to get some permission you can shoot on. my point is that you pay your hard earned then still have to phone up to see if its ok to go shooting..

wow... Of course you have to call up, the farmer could be working in adjacent fields, even with permissions that aren't nppc, it's prudent to check you are clear before hand. Went out with Hawkeye the other morning to deal with a corvid issue in a corn field at the urgent request of the farmer. When we got there he'd put his dairy herd in the adjacent field we needed to set up in so couldn't shoot anyway... it happens regardless of how you get the permissions. i've never been refused, just call john, book in and job done!

Don't lose sight of just how difficult it is to get permissions these days, as I've said, it's easy to criticize when you have some permissions and no longer need the services of the likes of nppc but getting permissions is not as easy as knocking on 1 or 2 doors and getting some land in the space of a week!

Well to me its still good value i have over 35 farms and 3 golf courses that i have permission to shoot on but will still keep my NPPC membership going,

As long as you stick to the rules its OK i have heard of some people joining then taking mates who are not members even after been told it is not allowed so John has kicked them out and i agree with him.

When i first joined 5 years ago i only had a few farms and they were mainly sheep or dairy herd no crops to speak of so the NPPC was handy and because i have found John Shooter to be a decent bloke i will keep my membership going even though i do not need it..But i still book out a few times each year.. :good: :good:

If you aren't convinced just sign up for the 6 month membership- under £100 IIRC? :good:

Give it a go - you don't need to buy OS maps as it can all be done off t'internet.

If it's not for you don't bother renewing.

Ringing in to book is the only way it would ever be manageable, otherwise you could end up with multiple shooters on the same field.

Only down side i have found is the distances involved

Well to me its still good value i have over 35 farms and 3 golf courses that i have permission to shoot on but will still keep my NPPC membership going,

As long as you stick to the rules its OK i have heard of some people joining then taking mates who are not members even after been told it is not allowed so John has kicked them out and i agree with him.

When i first joined 5 years ago i only had a few farms and they were mainly sheep or dairy herd no crops to speak of so the NPPC was handy and because i have found John Shooter to be a decent bloke i will keep my membership going even though i do not need it..But i still book out a few times each year.. :good: :good:

its just nice to have like you say hawkeye i can get by without being a member but whats wrong with having both permissions and member of a pigeon club it keeps your options open,also i actually gained a permission whilst shooting on nppc land the farmer next door came over to ask did i want to have a go at the pigeons on his rape..had to think long and hard about that one :hmm: