Emigrating to Canada

alexf

Looking into emigrating to Canada, very early days yet. Was just wondering if anyone on here has or tried to and what there experience was? Why are you back or still there? Why didn't you go in the end? etc

Brother in law moved to Quebec to work as an Engineer 23 Years ago...has never looked back....Wonderful clean country in his opinion.

He is less intelligent and less qualified than I ( although I say it myself ) but his quality of life surpasses anything I will ever achieve.

Go for it.!

Edited by Fisherman Mike

We are in the same boat, everything is very straight forwards and nothing major to worry about, the only problem most people have is making sure you have enough points, unlike this shower of a country the Canadians only let people in that can contribute in an essential way to the country. It`s a key worker type thing. You need 67 points to be eligible, i came out at 84 points for my family based on me working only EDIT:- and my wife not working.

Edited by CZ550Kevlar

We are in the same boat, everything is very straight forwards and nothing major to worry about, the only problem most people have is making sure you have enough points, unlike this shower of a country the Canadians only let people in that can contribute in an essential way to the country. It`s a key worker type thing. You need 67 points to be eligible, i came out at 84 points for my family based on me working only EDIT:- and my wife not working.

I take it your job is on the list of occupations? 84 is a cracking score :good:

Just out of interest where did you find the points system I wouldn't mind finding how I'd score.

We looked at it a couple of years back, but very quickly saw that the grass is not greener on the other side.

Yes, I might have got a good job as a sought after profession (Chartered Chemical Engineer), but salary was way lower, and would still have to start lower down than I am.

Housing we found was more expensive than we have now.

My wife as a teacher would basically have to start again.

And then there are friends and family that you leave behind.

And also, all the places we have not even been in the UK.

You still pay taxes one way or the other, you still loose out to the government.

Lots of problems on the news at the moment with Canada.

My points score was 90

Edited by V8landy

My mate moved to Edmonton in January. It was -26 when he got there, but I think it has warmed up to a balmy -10 now :lol:

He seems to like it though. I would have preferred Vancouver, lovely city, lovely people, not many militant Frenchies and a damn site warmer.

My mate moved to Edmonton in January. It was -26 when he got there, but I think it has warmed up to a balmy -10 now :lol:

He seems to like it though. I would have preferred Vancouver, lovely city, lovely people, not many militant Frenchies and a damn site warmer.

153 days of snow lastyear lol

My wife is Canadian and although we have just recently set up home here (4 yrs) we constantly talk about moving over there.

She is from Bruce County on Lake Huron in the East, lovely place in the Summer.

I'm off there in two weeks, she is already there and we plan to have a look around the area for suitable places.

The biggest decision is where to move to. The country is rather large and it's hard to pin point one place.

I'd say go for it, and while I'm sure Canada has it's fair share of ****, it can't be any worse than here surely.

JF

my other half's brother has just got his citizenship and i don't think we'll ever seem him in the UK again. i know it wasn't straightforward, but it certainly seems to have been worth it.

on a separate note. my best friend recently made a permanent move to australia - i know the grass isn't always greener, but it certainly sounds like it! we are making plans now.