storm pellets v wasps pellets

thompson

i bought some storm pellets and thought they were OK and the quality of the pellet looked good

until my mate give me his wasps as he changed from a .22 to a .177 so i tried them out the quality of the pellet was not to bad when i fired them i did a penetration test and the wasps where a hell of a lot better

the test. i put 6 empty milk cartons in a line and fired. the storm went thru 3 cartons i then fired a wasp and it when thru all 6 so i did a distant test from 50ft i zeroed in with the wasps as it was hitting higher than the storms at 20ft.

the test.wasps at 50ft straight as a die the storms well they barely made the distance.

has any one less used them before and what is a good pellet to yous .22caliber and what pellets should be avoided

results storm pellets **** wasps much better and £3 cheaper :good:

I use Air Arms Field for my air guns. They are very good pellets.

Generally speaking a nice soft skirt on a pellet is good as it spreads under pressure and gives a better seal in the barrel. Are these Storms hard? Wasps have quite a thick skirt, but they always felt quite tight in my gun so that could help?

For a moment I thought you meant six full milk cartons! I was just thinking that my .22lr would struggle to do that so what sort of air gun did you have! But then I re-read it and realised I was being daft! :oops:

i bought some storm pellets and thought they were OK and the quality of the pellet looked good

until my mate give me his wasps as he changed from a .22 to a .177 so i tried them out the quality of the pellet was not to bad when i fired them i did a penetration test and the wasps where a hell of a lot better

the test. i put 6 empty milk cartons in a line and fired. the storm went thru 3 cartons i then fired a wasp and it when thru all 6 so i did a distant test from 50ft i zeroed in with the wasps as it was hitting higher than the storms at 20ft.

the test.wasps at 50ft straight as a die the storms well they barely made the distance.

has any one less used them before and what is a good pellet to yous .22caliber and what pellets should be avoided

results storm pellets **** wasps much better and £3 cheaper :good:

If you are into hunting with an air rifle, accuracy wins over penetration every day of the week.

I also advocate JSB Exacts and AA Fields as they suit my gun and allow tiny groups. An accurate cranial shot on a rabbit with a poorer level of penetration will still kill it humanely. A highly penetrative airgun pellet which isn't accurate will not.

Simples.

Regards

Z.

It all depends on what your gun is as wasps are 5.56 not 5.55 mm . I think its British guns are loose compared to German guns

I think you are getting a little confused, there is .22 and there is 5.5.

Some of the wasps (the Blue) are nearer to .22 and therefore work well with this classic old calibre (very little is actually .22 these days, the vast majority is 5.5mm).

Most pellets are 5.50, or 5.51 or 5.52....5.55 is not the norm!

Cheers :good:

a find that the wasps are more accurate than the storms the storms have a really hard skirt a think that's the problem with them there are 2 types of wasps there's a purple tin witch i use and a blue the blue tin are a little bit bigger than the purple

only problem with the purple ones is there quite lose in the rifle when i load it up i have to hold the rifle down or they come bk out :lol:

i am getting a little bundle of ebay its 10 pots of diferant types of pellets for £10 you get 20pellits in each pot :good:

Edited by thompson

a find that the wasps are more accurate than the storms the storms have a really hard skirt a think that's the problem with them there are 2 types of wasps there's a purple tin witch i use and a blue the blue tin are a little bit bigger than the purple

only problem with the purple ones is there quite lose in the rifle when i load it up i have to hold the rifle down or they come bk out :lol:

i am getting a little bundle of ebay its 10 pots of diferant types of pellets for £10 you get 20pellits in each pot :good:

What rifle do you have, I'm getting the impression it may be a true .22 and not a 5.5? :hmm:

Accuracy kills, penetration doesn't!

Find the most accurate pellet for your gun and that will give you the most clean kills!

Ha ha...

Where did you read that, shoot your quarry up the **** with enough grunt it dies, shoot it in the heart with no penetration and it runs/flies off with a bruise!

What you really want is the best balance of both :yes::yes: , on the basis you have 12ft lb tops.

ATB! :good:

With 12ft/lbs tops you should only be aiming for head shots for a clean kill IMHO.

There is so much rubbished talked about penetration, wound channels ect with sub 12ft/lbs air rifles.

I have seen pellet's retrieved from the skulls of rabbits and they show very little sign of deformation or expansion.

This is my opinion based on things I have seen and experienced.

I respect your opinion although do not agree with it.

Paul

With 12ft/lbs tops you should only be aiming for head shots for a clean kill IMHO.

There is so much rubbished talked about penetration, wound channels ect with sub 12ft/lbs air rifles.

I have seen pellet's retrieved from the skulls of rabbits and they show very little sign of deformation or expansion.

Paul

I couldn't agree more!

ON WHAT? Rats, mice, pigeon, stoat etc? put the pellet in the right place at the right distance they die, and that is NOT necessarily in the head!

There is so much rubbished talked about penetration, wound channels etc with sub 12ft/lbs air rifles.

So...

What do you expect, it isn't a 243 ballistic tip? :hmm:

Paul

Accuracy is useless without penetration!

You must get a happy balance of both!

ATB!

Where did you read that, shoot your quarry up the **** with enough grunt it dies, shoot it in the heart with no penetration and it runs/flies off with a bruise!

You can always tell the centrefire users from the airgunners! You can't beat the good old Texas heart shot! :lol::good:

:lol:right so good quality hollow point that's accurate as hell will do the job better. could some one recommend a good accurate pellet. i am seeing the light in more accurate pellets to penetration i would rather hit the rabbit witch will still kill it than have a less accurate pellet with more penetration but less chance to actually hit it :good:

:lol::lol::lol:

If Wasps give you good accuracy and performance then why the discussion?-You have found a cheap pellet that does everything that is required of it.I,m guessing that they are most likely some of the original Wasps made back when the quality was what we had come to expect of Eley i.e. high.Later pellets became so bad that even sizing them failed to make them accurate and I stopped using them a few years ago-they have also been way outclassed by numerous new kids on the block-Air Arms,JSB,Crossman and practically anything made of lead that smells of knockwurst.Many of these makers are long established in the shooting world but all have made significant advances in the quality of ammo sold by your local dealer.Wasps,on the other hand,seem to have fallen by the wayside-shame. :good: