Can you decoy pigeons in the rain?

rcooke25552

My uncle spoke to me yesterday saying that his land is getting hammered by pigeons and I can have a pop at them to get some wings for my dog training. Well it's forecasted rain all nd an I have never decoyed pigeons in my life so what's the best approach in th rain?

Regards

Edited by rcooke25552

well a lot of people say pigeons dont like getting there feet muddy :rolleyes: but ive often seen loads of pigeons feeding in rain just not very nice sitting in hide waiting for them unless you can get under a tree and put a tarpalin above you to try keep rain off you a bit..or find where they are sitting up and shoot them there. :good:

I use a fishing umbrella with an old net draped over it and my normal hide built around the front.

All my gear is stored behind me out of the rain, and if it starts lashing it down I can move back under the brolly.

I have decoyed pigeons in light drizzle but they dont seem to play ball when its raining hard :good:

The only way to find out, is to get out and have a go :yes:

Edited by chrispti

The birds have to feed sometime and often on a rainy day there will be dry spells, or the rain will ease back a bit (usually late afternoon).

You either have to be ready to dash out in the breaks, or just go and sit it out.

It will help if you can find a sheltered area in the lea of a wood, or tree line, the birds will take advantage of places like that.

Real downpours set in for the day are to be avoided, but the softer/misty drizzle rain isn't too bad.

I use a fishing umbrella with an old net draped over it and my normal hide built around the front.

All my gear is stored behind me out of the rain, and if it starts lashing it down I can move back under the brolly.

I have decoyed pigeons in light drizzle but they dont seem to play ball when its raining hard :good:

The only way to find out, is to get out and have a go :yes:

This is good advice, I often shoot in the rain get some hits and misses, get out there and take a chance mate. :yes:

There is a massive diffrents in seeing birds feeding hammering a field in the pouring rain if there undisturbed .

Once you add the combination of heavy rain and being shot at it changes the whole outlook.

It not impossable or unheared of just not that common for a good bag to be shot in constant rain.

Then again if there switch on hungray and the crop desirabilty of the crop is strong very little will put them off.

Good luck Cheers