SxS for clays

Maidment78

Evening, just back from a great afternoon on the clays, new to the scene of clay shooting but as the season is getting closer a bit of training was required as was shooting badly yesterday evening.

Got there and was getting ready when a group went past and a chap asked if I was for real, I was using my 16 bore sxs hammer gun so not the average thing to see but it is what I will be using during the shoot so seemed right to practice with her.

Anyone else use a sxs on clays or am I the only one? 42/50 so not too bad a result and did really well on the teal stand with a clear 10.

Just thought I would ask.

Edited by Maidment78

You should have gone up to him and said if it's good enough for Percy (Stanbury) then it's good enough for me.

When very much younger, a local businesman and game bird shooter challenged us clay shooters to an afternoons competition. Back then we thought he stood no chance. The conclusion, he shot the **** out of us clay shooters using an English manufactured 16 bore sidelock.

Edited by B25Modelman

I'm still getting used to hitting clays FULL STOP lol , but I do use my SxS's when we go to my mates local shoot as he like to keep it more 'traditional' English old school , I even have the flat cap and waistcoat :good: .

My RFD mate shoots a Westley Richards(sp) SxS (full and full) in the Royal Berkshire comp every year and does rather well which is good because it cost him just over £5,000!! .

atvb

sg1

My dad prefers a SxS and is a novice, I took the O/U this morning but next time may well take the SxS for an outing! (its a single trigger more modern style) a 16 Gauge Hammer gun thats something special! and 42/50 isnt to be sniffed at either!

As a Clay shooter I do often cringe at the attitudes and behaviour of fellow clay shooters! You get little clumps that think if your not shooting a XYZS 123 your no good! I started shootign with a SxS at a Trap Ground and every body wanted to have a go! Then told me i needed to buy an O/U!

Edited by HDAV

If you can shoot well with a SxS generally, then you can hit clays with it too, and have a lot of fun doing it.

I agree that not everything has to be about CPSA registered shoots and shooting competitively, whatever colour your skeet vest is, eh?

Im new to shooting and all I can use is a SXS and I find it ideal for clays, mount aim and fire is all done within a couple of seconds, it all comes together nicely and smoothly. However I used my mate Semi the other evening and it felt awful, couldnt get my eye down on the site and the chamber reloading the next shell after was a massive distraction.

Nowt a matter with using a SXS on the clays,i used to use one everytime i could and i used to powder the clays with the fixed chokes,we seem to have too many prima donna's on the clay scene and you need to take no notice of these people.Do go and shoot with what you want to shoot with and enjoy your day!