S200 - first airgun advice

scrob

Hi folks

I am on the Market for my first airgun and have found one at my local shop. It is an Air Arms S200 .177 with 10 shot mag, Hawke scope and built in moderator, it is an FAC model but I am not exactly sure what power it is. Price is £350.

Can you tell me whether this would be suitable for rabbits at 40 yards and whether the .177 is much of a disadvantage vs a .22? I already have a .22LR so I am already covered for longer shots if I need more fire power.

Also is £350 a reasonable price, and what other questions should I be asking when I go for a look?

Thanks

Rob

the .177 v .22 will never get sorted I have shot both and am happy to stick with .177 its more personal preference than anything else. both will take rabbits no problem the shot count would be pretty low on a .177 aas200 in fac If I was to get FAC air i would go for .22.

No need for it to be FAC to take rabbits at 40yrds a .177 or .22 set at 11.5ftlb is more than good enough.

Price is in the right area but how are you going to fill it? you would need a hand pump such as a hills pump or a dive bottle

hope this helps

A friend of mine has a dive bottle, so filling isn't a problem.

The shop also has an S410 similar spec in .22 for £450, I could spend the extra money if it was worth it but as I'm pretty clueless I am hoping to get some advice to help with my purchase.

I have a .22 MkI S200 which can go FAC although I shoot it sub 12ftlb, very accurate, good for 30 - 40 shots at my levels, so less at FAC, filling is a ball ache if you haven't got a tank but cant fault the accuracy, especially with AA fields.

I paid £330 for mine recently with 3-9 x 50 Hawke, 2 10 shot mags, silencer & sling swivels.

That said, I still reach for my HW77 for rabbits & pigeons out to 45yds - I find it more rewarding.

Scrob, I'm not sure if the S200 will be over 12ft/lb i enquired through my local dealer in Newtownards about getting one over here and was told they would either be 6ft/lb for target shooting or 12ft/lb legal limit. That was to bring one into the shop new. They were designed for target shooting and for the mainland market.

I'm not saying it's not FAC power someone may well have been able to put the power up on it. But as said before shot count will be affected especially in .177.

Best bet would be for the S410, FAC they produce up to 35ft/lbs and with the extra power the holdover/under will be reduced until further out. I did see a Rapid for sale at Shanes Castle game fayre but I can't for the life of me remember the dealers name. It was a bit tatty but he was only looking £350.

ATB Paul

177 is a excellent calibre and what i use at 12ft/lb but if your going FAC i would say 22 or even 25 would be a better choice very few FAC guns are 177 as there are very few suitable pellets and also it would be very easy to over penetrate,go for 22 bare in mind price wise FAC guns normally come in cheaper second hand as there is less demand.

Some interesting responses here. I went to my dealer yesterday and after handling both the S200 and the S410 I honestly preferred the S200 so that's what I have now bought. It's .177, with built in moderator, Hawke 3-9x40 Hawke scope and a 10 shot mag. Very nice condition and got him down to £325 which I am happy with.

Interestingly the dealer said it is an FAC version but at the same time I don't know how much I have faith in that, as he didn't know the power and did say he didn't know how to modify the power on an S200. It will be a few weeks until my FAC comes through with the variation (PSNI seem to have speeded things up lately) so until then I can only guess. Even if it is only 12lbft, so long as it stops the bunnies as well as others have said it should, I'll be a happy man!