got the chance of a fourtrak anything to look out for

mosa

as titled. It looks very tidy 2" lift kit suzuki wider wheels low milage(not sure what)in silver/grey 7 seater, poly bushes etc etc. S reg thing is he wants nearly £3000 for it which i think is way too high although it looks very clean and definatley not abused, recons he gets 30mpg out of it.Heres a couple of pics

What do you think?

How much is Tax per year?

What should i ask or look for?

Decided to wait for something else cheers for all the help!!

Edited by mosa

£3000 is way too high for that on a 1998 mate, It is very tidy looking and doeslook like a well looked after car,but if its going to be used off road then for me to trash a 4x4 I personally wouldnt be paying £3000

You can get a Nissan terrano on a 53 plate for that which for me is a better vehicle for the money.

I think it has came about as i avertised my car for sale but stated may do a deal with a 4x4. So i would have to justify the deal myself but ask for cash my way. He is after a car so it would suit both our needs. Had one of these a couple of years ago and i thought taht was clean but this looks much better. I asked for pictures as i know what will happen if i go and see it :yes:

You can get a Nissan terrano on a 53 plate for that which for me is a better vehicle for the money.

you can do and there is a good reason for it they are no where near as good. It is a bit pricey but its one of the last ones and looks tidy. If really low mileage with a good history then it may be worth it.

Things to check are rust rust and more rust, lift the boot carpet and check along the wheel arch seams then get underneath and check near all the chasis mounting points. Then check sills etc, the engines and transmissions are nearly bullet proof but rust gets them. They aren't that refined and economy is 28-30mpg but they are easy to live with day to day as long as you don't have much of a comute.

The one you used to have was a tidy one....

as said before thats a wee bit pricey....

if you hang on till next year my mate is selling a 98 3.0 trooper, 78k miles had all the recalls ie new turbo/injectors

short wheelbase a/t tires on, never thrashed or serious off road, only dirt tracks and the like

shaun

cheers for the replies. I do 200 miles per week to work and currently spend £25 in my A4 tdi per week. What is the tax on these per 6 months etc? :hmm: still intrigued by it but not sure what to do

at a guess it will cost you just short of double that and will be done a fair bit slower

you can do and there is a good reason for it they are no where near as good. It is a bit pricey but its one of the last ones and looks tidy. If really low mileage with a good history then it may be worth it.

Things to check are rust rust and more rust, lift the boot carpet and check along the wheel arch seams then get underneath and check near all the chasis mounting points. Then check sills etc, the engines and transmissions are nearly bullet proof but rust gets them. They aren't that refined and economy is 28-30mpg but they are easy to live with day to day as long as you don't have much of a comute.

You beat me to it, I was going to say rust, rust and more rust! I spent 2 years searching for a good one, travelling a fair distance. Every time it was the same though. I wouldn't have minded welding a sill up but some of the places where rust had reached in would have been a b*stard to weld and as the rust had set in I'd have been constantly fighting a losing battle. I was convinced that there'd be one out there that had been waxoiled from new and would be ok but I've now given up after seeing the same thing on every one. The last one I saw was a real disappointment; about 64,000miles if I remember right, FSH and two local owners. I had my heart set on it until I looked underneath :/

If it weren't for the rust I wouldn't look at anything else;

Cheap insurance

Fantastic engine

Easy to fix (my main gripe with modern vehicles)

Great towing capacity

Like I say I've given up looking for one now and am considering a Ford Ranger or Mitsubishi L200, although they'll cost more to buy and a lot more to insure!