Helpful or hindering?!

tarn2215

So I popped down to a 70 bird register shoot today with my coach, she was having a shoot as well and she dropped a couple of one of the stands. A complete stranger walked up next to and decided to start giving her advise as to where she was going wrong. She was so put off and angered by it that she ended up dropping again. As a relatively novice shooter I was worried he was abbot to do the same to me.

Would anyone else consider this unacceptable?

Thats the problem, it wasn't good advise, when we got back to club house and looked at the scores, he was well off the pace. To me it wasn't just the fact that he came onto the stand whilst she was mid round that I found rude, it was the condescending tone in which he gave his words of wisedom.

Normally I get advice off the guys I shoot with, as we visit the local clay shoots in a group of about 6. We know most of the other people there too and they will give advice when its needed. However, when we have visited some of the bigger grounds, we have some rather useless people giving hopeless advice! They are an incredible hinderance, even when we do not follow the ill given advice, they simply serve as a distraction!

Only ever give advice if your asked is my motto. No one likes some smart **** telling you there life story when you've just messed up a stand! And most of the time the person offering it is in no position to give advice anyway!

Totally agree :good: That said Ed if you see me cocking it up (more than likely) please feel free to comment :lol:

So I popped down to a 70 bird register shoot today with my coach, she was having a shoot as well and she dropped a couple of one of the stands. A complete stranger walked up next to and decided to start giving her advise as to where she was going wrong. She was so put off and angered by it that she ended up dropping again. As a relatively novice shooter I was worried he was abbot to do the same to me.

Probably only trying to be helpful but I can't stand it.... Just be very polite (overly and if you can smile sweetly)

I generally can't be doing with strangers offering advice. It always consists of "you were behind that".

I will take it from people I know, if they can shoot a bit, but anyone else is an unknown quantity. It is hard to have faith in someone of whom you have no knowledge.

A good friend of mine doesn't like shootings clays nowadays because he attracts unwanted advice at some rate. He shoots everything gun down and is the fastest shooter I have ever met, but people persist in telling him he is stood wrongly, hasn't got a skeet vest, mounts the gun wrongly etc etc. One moron came up and took his gun off him some years ago, pronouncing the barrels weren't straight. The event was hilarious, up to a point - the response he got was a whole lot funnier.

If someone has genuine advice, I would prefer a subtle offer of help, not standing at your shoulder saying "I knew you would miss that one".

Personally, I think it is bang out of order and rude. Complete strangers walking up to the stand and offering their advice

is not welcome in my book. I was shooting a comp in Scotland at a Game Fair and I was shooting well in general but this long rabbit was giving me bother and this numbskull tapped me on the shoulder whilst I was shooting in the cage and said guess what - yep your right - "your behind that mate" and walked off. I came off the stand and said to my girlfriend who the hell was that and she said I dunno I thought that you must have known him. I never saw him again!

It should not be possible for a complete stranger to enter a comp and give advice.

I regard people like that as Pra**s. Give advice only if asked and capable of doing so (as others have said).

To interrupt a gun in mid stand is stupid and always unwelcome.

I'd have passed him the gun and said, "go on then".

Richard craniums the lot of them.

My instructor actually went up to him in the tea room and said "if I ever catch you doing that again I will make a complete **** of you". If he was a world champ or something I would have welcomed his advise but looking at his classification he's a C class shooter. I'm glad it's not just me thinking this is bang out order!!

It wasn't a bloke with a funny leather hat going by the name of Peter-Peter was it?

He's off here and when he's not too busy he likes to give tips to the ex-England lady shooters on here.

You and your coach should be grateful for the free lesson / tips and the attention of a man.

It wasn't a bloke with a funny leather hat going by the name of Peter-Peter was it?

He's off here and when he's not too busy he likes to give tips to the ex-England lady shooters on here.

You and your coach should be grateful for the free lesson / tips and the attention of a man.

I don't think he had a leather hat on. If it was a good looking male shooter then maybe the attention would be more welcome lol