setting up a rough shoot.

I've just gained permission on a nice little 300ish acre farm in Leicestershire about two miles from my house. I'm having good results with the woodies there. The farmer mainly grows wheat, rape and peas.

The land is lovely, quite hilly with a few small spinneys, one wood of about 1 1/2 acres and a small pond surrounded by trees.

I'm thinking about starting a rough shoot there for myself and two friends but dont really know a lot about running a shoot. I like the idea of releasing duck and English partridge in modest numbers, more for fun than bag numbers.

I'm a member of a local driven game shoot, so have seen the basic mechanics behind that. It would be nice to have a walk about between driven days.

Could anyone persuade of disuade me from going ahead with this?

Good luck, you will get out what you put in.

Partridges: Forget releasing Grey partridge unless you have good cover (i.e root fields) and no wild stock at all. If you do have some wild Greys, then do not shoot them unless you have alot. Personally if you like the idea of partridge then if you have some cover for them, mustard on winter stubble is ideal, then release some redlegs.

Ducks: release some mallard by all means but be wary of them getting too tame, all very embarassing when you stalk to the edge of the pond on your first shoot day to find them all happily swimming towards you expecting breakfast. Myself, I would keep the pond very quiet and hope that it is a day roost for wild birds, much more satifying to shoot a couple of teal than knocking down a bag of reared mallard circling the pond desparately trying to get back 'home'.

Pheasants: I would say would be your best choice going by your description of the land. I also think that if it is going to be a regular shoot then it is correct to release some birds of your own rather than relying on pulling in the neighbours released birds (not suggesting you would but many do). Maybe a 100-150 birds in a pen in a suitable spinney, put feeders out in all likely bits of cover. If you can get them a couple of game strips would be a great asset, otherwise mustard on stubble can be good.

Thankyou for the reply.

The farmer is a very friendly guy, and I'm sure if compensated would put some cover down for me.

There are no partridge on the farm at all. There are a few pheasant knocking about and I suppose that proves what you say about the land being more suited. I like shooting partridge and would love to see some greys around the farm but I'd like to keep it easy and as cheap as possible for a start. Don't want to run before I can walk.

Would it be ok to put a few ducks on the pond this season and monitor them over the winter to see how they get on? Would it be ok to feed them once or twice a week as the pond is a way off the track?

Thankyou for the reply.

The farmer is a very friendly guy, and I'm sure if compensated would put some cover down for me.

There are no partridge on the farm at all. There are a few pheasant knocking about and I suppose that proves what you say about the land being more suited. I like shooting partridge and would love to see some greys around the farm but I'd like to keep it easy and as cheap as possible for a start. Don't want to run before I can walk.

Would it be ok to put a few ducks on the pond this season and monitor them over the winter to see how they get on? Would it be ok to feed them once or twice a week as the pond is a way off the track?

If you intend to release ducks you will need to feed them away from the pond, preferably up a hill to make them fly. I myself wouldnt release ducks. Do as Scolopax says leave the pond quiet and feed it twice a week but dont put food in if there is food left from the previous feeding. You may well be pleasantly surprised.

Nutty

if it was me i would forget releasing ducks feed the pond for some wild, you will then have the option of a flight too. i would release pheasants if the number isnt goin to be alot you could release them as if they were partridge eg pen made with sections with net on top. less cost if you find a friendly keeper with some spare, and they will be less time consuming. just my two pence worth. good luck and wot ever you do im sure you will enjoy it

Pheasant- if you hav a few knocking about just put feeders out to pull more in, also place some grit box's near to your feeders as you may just get a few partridge come in for the scoff aswell. Keep on top of the fox's and predators. Try make your land a safe haven for the birds and you wont need to put any down.

As for duck put a hand full down and keep them fed and safe, they should call quite a few wild birds in and before you know it you will have a half decent walk about.

Edited by russ91

Personally i would put a few feeders around and feed the ponds with barley this year and see whats about, then next year, spring time, you can make some plans. What are the rabbits like? you might find the Farmer greatful to you if you do a bit of ferretting this year. :yes:

Which end of Leicestershire are you, i'm just outside Lutterwoth and do a simlar thing if you ever fancy a meet up. :good: