which rifle in .223

stirky

I am wanting a new rifle, i have chosen the .223 as my varmint calibre. I have been told to go for a 1in9 twist as it is not affected by wind when using heavier bullet weights upto 65 grain. On the other hand i have been advised that the more standard twist rate of 1in12 is ideal upto 55 grain and that bullet weight is ideal on all vermin upto 250 yds.

Now here is another problem, i like the Howa stainless laminate 1/12 twist, i have also had a look at the savage stainless laminate 1/9 twist and although the trigger was better on the savage the finish was not quite as good as the Howa, and found it a bit rough round the edges. The other rifles to consider are Tikka (not sure about twist rates yet) remmi in either, but dont like the stocks, :good: or CZ .

What are you lads using. B)

Edited by stirky

the tikka will be the best value out of the box gun you can get, and probably the best built one.

The howa is a somewhat touchy subject with me right now, as i am currently waiting for my howa varmint blued in .223, however after ordering it initially in something like the 1st week of december it has not yet arrived.

The importer is Brian Fox (fox firearms) all i can say is .. if you want a howa, buy a cz to tide you over, becuase if he hasnt got one in stock at the moment your looking at a bloody long wait to get one.l (mine should be in the proof house this week, so is about 1 week away) However by all acounts of people who have actually recieved their Howa's they are really very good guns for the money.

i will let you know what its like if or when i recieve it.

Guest pigeonbasher
post-923-1145988260.jpgpost-923-1145988260.jpgime on my third (&last .223) the first one a ruger 77 grouped like a muck spreader, 2nd a tikka t3 hunter didnt like it at all, plasticky bulky my present one is a remmy 700, deadly accurate with factory or homeloads adjustable trigger, @ £450 cant be beaten in my opinion

Stirky,

The Tikka probably is the best quality wise, but if you go for the Varmint Laminate, I think the Howa is amazing value for money. The triggers on Howas vary from very good quality to ****, it depends on the individual rifle, some can be adjusted, some need to be binned!

I certainly don't regret buying a Howa and everyone who sees it or shoots it seems impressed!

p.s. I did check the chamber was empty before closing the bolt for the pic, don't want a load of grief about poor gun safety!

post-848-1145991772.jpg

Edited by chrisv

post-1945-1145998905.jpg

This is a Tikka M595 ,it has a 1-12" twist rate and seems to prefer 50 g bullets ,It's zero'd in at 150yds ..........It comes with a floating barrel and a easily adjusted trigger ..........Something to look out for and not always standard with American rifles . :blush:

You won't be shooting vermin on a regular basis around 250 yds either ,more like 150 yds is the norm and even closer when lamping .

For long range you'll need to be looking at homeloading .............Some factory ammo is good though but different batch numbers can soon change that :good:

All new Tikka T3s are 1 in 8 and can take bullets up to 70+ grain, altough unless your target shooting, the more common fox cure is the 50 and 55 grain.

Never used a Howa, so dont know anything about them, but fron what i read, they are very good.

I have had a CZ 527, for several years in .22 Hornet centerfire, and now, for the past 8 months, in .223.

All i can say is, MAGIC. :blush: .

I cant reload over here as yet, so all my testing and fox culling, has been with factory ammo.

All the ammo have grouped within an inch at 100yds. Some 1/2 and some even 1/4.

I have shot 400yd steel bunnys with it and had 2 and a 1/2 inch groups with federal premium 40 grain nosler Ballistic Tip factory ammo, at 400yds, on a dead calm warm evening.

The choice is yours.

What ever fits best and makes you happy, take it and stick to it. :good:

Edited by Frank

Frank

I have shot enough of them (5, Hornet/.222/.223 etc) to know you pays your money and you take a gamble buying one. Every single one I have used wasnt what i would call desirable in terms of accuracy. When you consider price/value, the Howa is offering stainless build with a laminate stock for not much more money. Aftermarket parts are easily available and they use remington pattern mounts so no difficulties mounting scopes unlike some brands who need weird mounts that not everybody stocks. When you compare the two side by side, its a no brainer. The only thing about the cz i would prefer is the detachable mag but you learn to live without them.

Still, its a choice I dont have to make.

I find my CZ very accurate indeed. :blush:

I do agree about the mounts though, but apparently, not sure what brand, their is ment to be mounts coming out for the CZ within the next 2 weeks that are ment to be the dogs golf balls. :good:

I will be getting these mounts and will let all know in due course, how they perform.

I've got a Tikka too.

Nice piece of kit.

Wife keeps asking when I'm going to shoot a chicken with it.

Chicken Tikka geddit? Laugh, I struggle to every time but, if it makes her happy :good:

She gets to make feeble jokes, I get to go shooting.

Fair enough I guess :blush:

Frank

I have shot enough of them (5, Hornet/.222/.223 etc) to know you pays your money and you take a gamble buying one. Every single one I have used wasnt what i would call desirable in terms of accuracy. When you consider price/value, the Howa is offering stainless build with a laminate stock for not much more money. Aftermarket parts are easily available and they use remington pattern mounts so no difficulties mounting scopes unlike some brands who need weird mounts that not everybody stocks. When you compare the two side by side, its a no brainer. The only thing about the cz i would prefer is the detachable mag but you learn to live without them.

Still, its a choice I dont have to make.

Now then Fister, is not the last few posts in the sporting pictures section ect, proof enough for you sir, that the CZ 527 rifle, is very accurate and a great buy?

Deep down, im sure you do. :blush:

Edited by Frank

Frank, There are a lot of people who dont take a photo and post it every time they shoot something though and maybe there is a chip on the shoulder complex with the gun?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What ever. :blush:

Edited by Frank

okay, i think the major problem here lies in the question that is being asked.

what budget is the gun being bought on

if its a budget gun (remembering that Howa seem to be nearly impossible to get hold of :P ) the cz is good value, represents alot of gun for the money, has a very good following (so they cant be all that bad)

however i would not buy a cz over a sako, they are in very different leagues. The cz is ready to go field gun which happens to shoot straight. The sako is a big badge which shoots very well, has more time spent on blueing quality and finishing of the gun, they also have one of the best out of the box triggers. however its over 2x the price, do you get 2x the gun? thats a question best answered with experiance

mine would be that the cz (centerfires) are a good 85% of a sako 75 and are just lacking the high quality wood (not in all cases) blueing quality, and level of finishing on parts of the gun.

my experiance with accuracy is it makes more different with the nut behind the bolt and what they feed it than the actual gun. i am told Cz make very high quality barrels, and i know a gunsmith who swears they are one of the best in the buisness.

untill we know what sort of budget we are on im not sure how we can really say what gun is the best its like comparing a bentley to a ford

okay, i think the major problem here lies in the question that is being asked.

what budget is the gun being bought on

if its a budget gun (remembering that Howa seem to be nearly impossible to get hold of :P ) the cz is good value, represents alot of gun for the money, has a very good following (so they cant be all that bad)

however i would not buy a cz over a sako, they are in very different leagues. The cz is ready to go field gun which happens to shoot straight. The sako is a big badge which shoots very well, has more time spent on blueing quality and finishing of the gun, they also have one of the best out of the box triggers. however its over 2x the price, do you get 2x the gun? thats a question best answered with experiance

mine would be that the cz (centerfires) are a good 85% of a sako 75 and are just lacking the high quality wood (not in all cases) blueing quality, and level of finishing on parts of the gun.

my experiance with accuracy is it makes more different with the nut behind the bolt and what they feed it than the actual gun. i am told Cz make very high quality barrels, and i know a gunsmith who swears they are one of the best in the buisness.

untill we know what sort of budget we are on im not sure how we can really say what gun is the best its like comparing a bentley to a ford

Thanks for that Nick :P

That sounds more like it. :lol:

Just to throw a bit oil on the fire don't forget Sako's and Tikka's are only expensive guns in the UK, Tikka's it is more to do with how they 'positioned' in the market by GMK.

If you have just bought a Tikka in UK do not under any circumstances type the words Ozark Guns in Google and search - you will be very upset :P and his prices have gone up a LOT recently :lol:

i think brian does 2 shipments each year and i just missed the last .223 heavy barreled blue'd gun he had from the last shipment, so ive had to wait all this time simply because i got unlucky.

there has been a clued heavy barrel .223 on guntrader for £370 for ages now, but its used, and i want a nice new shiney one which has only had proofing rounds through it. Plus the new one would be cheaper than the 2nd hand one.