Cheap deer stalking.

I am in the process of getting my conditions changed on my FAC so as not to be so restrictive while on a mentoring condition for deer. My firearms office are willing to change the "Named Mentor" condition to "Shooting deer while accompanied by any experienced stalker". This has come about because my "named mentor" is not often available to go out when I am available so I am not getting the chance to progress at a reasonable rate so that I can get the wretched "mentoring" condition removed and get my FAC changed to a full open ticket.

I am also in the process of selling my 4X4 and getting something that is more economical to drive which will give me the scope to travel much further afield for the occasional stalk or two.

I really am on a very tight budget so I can not pay the megga bucks for some of the stalking days offered therefore I am looking for any members that would be willing to allow me out with them in order just to gain a bit of experience - I am not asking for any "trophy shooting" or even worried about being able to take any venison home with me, just a few photos would more than suffice along with a short letter at the end of the stalk (regardless of if I took a shot or not) to say that I was going out stalking and gaining experience.

I would be so delighted if any members were willing to allow me out with them to maybe try for any type of deer - Red, Fallow, Roe, Munty or even CWD, it really does not matter to me as they will all count towards "experience". I would love the opportunity even for short occasional stalks, mornings, evenings or whatever anyone feels they could help me out with, I am very easily pleased and I like to think that I am reasonably good company as well as being a "fairly good shot".

I realise that asking for either cheap or (Ideally) free stalking might sound a little cheaky or like some sort of "begging post", if it does then I appologise in advance as I have no wish to offend anyone. Most of you will know that I have always tried to help other members out wherever and however I can with advice, help or invites to go out on my permissions so that they could gain experience, now I am the one that is asking if there is a very kind member or two that is willing to help me out a little on the odd occasion.

Thanks in advance for any replies guys!

Edit: I should add that I can (And would ideally prefer to) use my own .243 rifle and ammunition as long as the land is passed for a minimum of a .243 calibre rifle.

Edited by Frenchieboy

You would be VERY lucky to get any CWD stalking for free, those buck are money makers for sure!

When the cull does come in October some places offer a one off fee to shoot as many as you see. Keep an eye out for that.

Good luck on your search, I am after the Sika this winter and then i would have had all the 6 species. :drinks:

Try some of the Stalking geared forums, you might have more luck.

frenchie keep your eyes out for cull stalking opportunities. Once does / hinds come into season you start getting some far cheaper days. I've paid from £60 upwards so best keeping it local or you end up spending more on diesel than the day. The plus point of doing a bit of this is you get to meet different people see different ground and learn.

Thanks for the replies guys! I will most certainly keep an eye out when the cheaper option of "culling2 starts, that would be ideal for what I want!

I knew I could rely on some of you making some good suggestions. Thanks for the advice!

:good::good: :good:

Pete i go to bedford a couple of times a year to munty stalker a keeper called jason a nice lad and not to deer you can always drive over to me and we can go together if you wish but it will be later in the year if your interseted just let me know i can give you acouple of numbers of lads stalking around bedford for cwd and munties if you wish

Mark

Edited by mark@mbb

Mark - Thanks for the kind offer, I might very well take you up on that one, and thanks to all of the members who have contacted me by PM - You know who you are and you guys are real stars and true friends - People whose freindship I truly value very highly! :good: :good:

I'm actually extremely peed off right at the moment though - I was offered some stalking fairly local to me for yesterday evening where I was guaranteed at least one if not two deer to start my "stalking carreer off" and had to turn it down as I had already been asked to play a game of bowls for the team I have played for in an important "Cup Match". (Even my wife told me to "Forget the bowling for once and jump at the chance and go stalking"!

I have supported the bowling team I play for faithfully and not missed a single match all season and I thought I would be letting the team down by not playing last night, especially as it was the last match of the season. To add insult to injury I lost my game and we lost the cup :angry: It is now on my mind that I really should have gone stalking instead!

Is this going to play on my mind for a while? :hmm: - You can safely say a big "YES" and for a long time at that! :angry:

p.s. I have heard nothing but excellent reports about Jason!

Edited by Frenchieboy