Freezing pigeons in the feather.

sitsinhedges

I've just aquired a free freezer with the intention of being able to freeze a number of birds before taking them to a game dealer.

It's not very big, just an undercounter type with drawers, but I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth :blush:

I wanted to get some advice about exactly how to freeze them, how to stop them sticking together etc, and how long they can be stored etc.

All advice appreciated :good:

I've just aquired a free freezer with the intention of being able to freeze a number of birds before taking them to a game dealer.

It's not very big, just an undercounter type with drawers, but I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth :blush:

I wanted to get some advice about exactly how to freeze them, how to stop them sticking together etc, and how long they can be stored etc.

Check with the game dealer, I think you will find they will pay a lot less for your frozen birds! Whole birds take up a lot of room.....

TEH

wee just pull out the tail feathers fold head under wing.put them in freezer they dont stick together.your one prob might be some game dealers only take 100+.

y do you have to drop the guts on rabbits but not on pigeons

Rabbits spoil really quick with the guts in, birds much less so.

Skin a rabbit which has been left intact for 24 hours and you will see the belly area turns green and can bloat up.

Birds, as long a kept cool last much better. it actually improves game birds to hang a few days