Quartering

caragh

its hard to say without seeing you shoot, but as dunganick said, practise helps. it could possibly be that you are giving them too much lead, as a quartering clay is at a more acute angle than a straight crosser. be best to get an experienced shot to watch you and see where your going wrong.

Without seeing you shoot, it's impossible to tell, so much depends on the speed and angle of the clay, you're more likely to be missing in front, so try cutting back a bit on the lead, and make sure that you keep your head tightly screwed down on the stock, a lot of quartering birds are missed over the top because of the dreaded "head lifting".

Cat.

I'd head for the nearest skeet range, with a shedload of cartridges, and ideally a coach to advise on problem areas. It's just an opinion, but I reckon there's no better way to develop consistent skill on crossers than shooting Skeet. Once you've got stands 2 to 6 mastered, move onto some of the more testing Sporting crossers?

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions. I have shot a fair bit of skeet for the past 8 months or so with decent results even managed a straight. Thinking about it I have only shot skeet for quite a while maybe I just need to adjust to the birds being a lot further away. Anyway thanks again we will see what happens over the next few weeks.

regards

Steve

These used to be my least favourite targets too (if you ignore tower birds, which I try to do at all costs!).

Obviously this is all relative, everyones sight picture being their own, but one thing I have noticed is that a lot of people (including me) miss these over the top. Catamong has mentioned head lifting, which is a killer, but I also think a lot of people fail to read the target and dont compensate for the fact that as the target gets further away the clay gets, the less acute the vertical angle between you and it becomes. In English, what I am trying to get across is that I have found that I need to make a conscious effort to shoot a bit lower than my brain tells tells me to overcome what is a bit of an optical illusion (the temptation is to shoot it as more of a crosser than it really is, ignoring the whole vertical angle thing). If you are happy you arent lifting your head, try giving it as much lateral lead as you think it needs, but shoot low.

I may be talking bollarks, but it works for me!

Pete

These used to be my least favourite targets too (if you ignore tower birds, which I try to do at all costs!).

Obviously this is all relative, everyones sight picture being their own, but one thing I have noticed is that a lot of people (including me) miss these over the top. Catamong has mentioned head lifting, which is a killer, but I also think a lot of people fail to read the target and dont compensate for the fact that as the target gets further away the clay gets, the less acute the vertical angle between you and it becomes. In English, what I am trying to get across is that I have found that I need to make a conscious effort to shoot a bit lower than my brain tells tells me to overcome what is a bit of an optical illusion (the temptation is to shoot it as more of a crosser than it really is, ignoring the whole vertical angle thing). If you are happy you arent lifting your head, try giving it as much lateral lead as you think it needs, but shoot low.

Pete

Are you trying to say shoot the feet of the bird keeping a constant lead once you have decided its speed and try to form a picture early no panic take your time :angry:

Pete

Are you trying to say shoot the feet of the bird keeping a constant lead once you have decided its speed and try to form a picture early no panic take your time :angry:

Yes, but only if by feet you mean ones on the end of long, gangly legs, which are hanging down and are sticking out of the birds chest :angry: .

Shoot em like before, but lower.

Pete

Pete

Yes, but only if by feet you mean ones on the end of long, gangly legs, which are hanging down and are sticking out of the birds chest :angry: .

Pete

Its the funny looking birds we have down here in leicester :good:

Pete

Are you trying to say shoot the feet of the bird keeping a constant lead once you have decided its speed and try to form a picture early no panic take your time :unsure:

Yes, but only if by feet you mean ones on the end of long, gangly legs, which are hanging down and are sticking out of the birds chest :lol: .

Pete

Its the funny looking birds we have down here in leicester :lol:

I live in a small town with an even smaller gene pool, the birds here look so funny it aint even funny anymore! :no::no::lol:

Pete

Are you trying to say shoot the feet of the bird keeping a constant lead once you have decided its speed and try to form a picture early no panic take your time :unsure:

Yes, but only if by feet you mean ones on the end of long, gangly legs, which are hanging down and are sticking out of the birds chest :lol: .

Pete

Its the funny looking birds we have down here in leicester :lol:

I live in a small town with an even smaller gene pool, the birds here look so funny it aint even funny anymore! :no::no::lol:

Small town were not talking kissing cousin are we (hillbillie) :no::no: