Duck Loads

right these past few years i have been using either:

• Alaphamax Buismuth 3's
  • Tungsten Matrix 32g 5's
  • Steel HP 32g 5's
  • Steel 32g 4's

For standard Duck.

For teal on a flight pond i have been using Steel 7.5's 24g (Lyvale)

And for geese Tungsten 36g 1's.

I am now right out of most of these loads and need to stock up, however I have joined a Wildfowling club so need something to perform well on the marsh.

So i am asking whats the Best goose cartridge at present and what are you lot using for normal duck shooting, the gun that will be used is a Lanber 3'' with Flure de Leys.

Lastly does anyone know where i can get some LYVALE COMP 24g 7.5 shot STEEL? I ran out last year and in desperation i tried eley but dont rate them well at all they seem to lack the stopping power of the lyvale. My local gunshop wont deal Lyvale now so i am stuck, alternitavly what do you use on theflight pond for teal?

Thanks.

I cant get Lyvale though.

Richardsons of halesworth stock the gamebore mammoths, in the same loads as lyvale, these are what i was using on the marsh last season, this season tho i am loading my own 1oz of 3.5mm steel going about 1500fps for the ducks, had two mallard on thursday evening with this cartridge, the ducks folded up nicely.

It appears from Forums in the USA that super high speed might be slightly over rated, seems you can pull off a few flukey single pellet kills at range yet dencity of the spread still remains the over riding factor again. Just read the BASC article seems to break the laws of physics how can more speed give us more penetration at short range yet equal penetration of slower stuff at 50? Given pellets of the same BC they will be traveling faster and holding more energy, hence surely will penetrate deeper up untill the point that everything bounces off with nill penetration, without producing a reason why to support this statement it can surely only be called Bumkum? Anyone enlighten me?

It appears from Forums in the USA that super high speed might be slightly over rated, seems you can pull off a few flukey single pellet kills at range yet dencity of the spread still remains the over riding factor again. Just read the BASC article seems to break the laws of physics how can more speed give us more penetration at short range yet equal penetration of slower stuff at 50? Given pellets of the same BC they will be traveling faster and holding more energy, hence surely will penetrate deeper up untill the point that everything bounces off with nill penetration, without producing a reason why to support this statement it can surely only be called Bumkum? Anyone enlighten me?

Hi Kent, I am only thinking out loud but isn't it a law of deminishing returns? Basically its not a linear relationship. It would be interesting to know theoretically if the speed was doubled, not just increased by 200 -300 fps what the penetration difference would be at 60yrd (isn't that what they were testing at) between the two loads.

Maybe steel is just to light and has to be used in to large a size (big frontal area = drag) to ever retain much momentum at 60yrds regardless of the charge?

Like I said, just thinking aloud....I would like to know too.

Ta, Lee.

On the whole the BASC mag article on steel shot was a little disappointing , with only limited exploration of the topic. I cant understand the point of testing steel shells at 60 yards. That’s beyond the range of lead shells , let alone steel. The tone of the article was rather against fast steel shells and yet to quote “ there is little effect on pattern density at 30 or 50 yards “ and clearly from their graphs the faster the shell the better penetration showed that fast steel shells were more effective than slow ones and yet very little was made of this advantage in the article.

It would been a far more useful article if there were some pattern density charts for different loads , the effects of differing shot sizes and chokes made for steel.