oven ready goose

eggjr0151

hi anyone got any tips on getting a canadian ready for the oven thanx

I am not sure how it is there, but they kind of frown on cannabalism here. If you are referring to a Canada goose, my wife puts them in a slow oven at 250 degrees for a period of 2 1/2-3 hours with a tight foil tent and they come out tender and juicy. They are really good stuffed with apples and onions(discard when done) I have found that old ganders are best frozen for a few months as the freezing tends to break down some of the tough muscle fibers.

Bon Apetite'

Right, now you need a metal baking tray. Go outside and select a nice new brick, Wash carefully to remove any loose grit as this will spoil the gravy. Stuff he gooses cavity with mixed herbs, garlic and apples and place the goose on the carefully prepared brick in the metal baking tin. Cover with tinfoil and bake at around 150*C for 4 hours or untill the brick is soft. Take a knife, or more probibily if it is a old bird a chainsaw and remove the meat from the carcass, you will need to blend this, although the garden shredder may be a better bet. When you have your blended gose meat, add the meat and brick juices and continue to use this to make the gravy as normal. Slice the brick very thinley( engeneering bricks can remove the odd filling so best avoided) and serve with veg and lashings of goosey gravy.

Or you could treat it like a chicken.

Right, now you need a metal baking tray. Go outside and select a nice new brick, Wash carefully to remove any loose grit as this will spoil the gravy. Stuff he gooses cavity with mixed herbs, garlic and apples and place the goose on the carefully prepared brick in the metal baking tin. Cover with tinfoil and bake at around 150*C for 4 hours or untill the brick is soft. Take a knife, or more probibily if it is a old bird a chainsaw and remove the meat from the carcass, you will need to blend this, although the garden shredder may be a better bet. When you have your blended gose meat, add the meat and brick juices and continue to use this to make the gravy as normal. Slice the brick very thinley( engeneering bricks can remove the odd filling so best avoided) and serve with veg and lashings of goosey gravy.

Or you could treat it like a chicken.

although quite funny(even when said a million times....on this post and many others), not true at all, even the oldest of geese can make a good meal when prepared properly

a long time cooking but well worth it in my opinion!

Good luck with it and enjoy!

Pluck and dress the same as any other bird, use a large deep roasting tin, preferably with a lid.

Put 2 pints chicken stock in the bottom of the tin along with a rough chopped onion, 2/3 chopped sticks celery and a couple of carrots, put goose directly into stock in tin.

Do not pre heat oven but put roasting tin with lid on (if no lid use foil to seal the top) in the middle of the oven, turn on to 140 degrees c and leave for about 3 hours and then check depending on size/age will take anything between 3-4 hours :good:

• 5 months later...

we used to roast all the ducks and geese i shot until a friend told me to try boiling them instead, i tried it and never looked back. mallard boiled till its falling off the bone (couple of hours at least) is very very good, not as strong compaired to roasting but it still tastes like wild duck only it falls apart in your mouth and is really juicy. i tied roasting duck all sorts of ways and the thing that always got me was you could take it out of the roast tin to carve and it was lovely and tender and juicy and by the time it was on the table it had dried up and gone like boot leather, not so with boiling. it doesnt sound great, i know i turned my nose up at first, but after trying it, as i said, we never looked back. :good: :good: :good: