Dog problem with getting in truck

Jimmer

My 5 month old springer is not always getting in the truck when told. He used to be fine when the "up, up" command was said and the mrs seems to be better at getting him into the truck than me for some reason as well. I've tried treats and he doesn't seem that interested (which usually work for other training), it usually ends in me chasing him around the garden and getting him on his lead. Should i feed him in there and lock him in there for a while? I'm not sure what else to try.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

I certainly would not lock him in for any lenght of time you could make matters worse ,I would try lifting him in and sitting on the tail gate making a fuss of him perhaps give him a small treat or a toy to play with. once he is happy doing that take him for a drive to where you can let him have a good run ,I am sure he will soon realise going for a ride is only a good thing ,if I open my van back door my cocker is straight in and if I leave it up he will stay in there all day !

At 5 months it should all be about play ,take him for short trips and make sure theres a game of some sort at the end of the ride, like fetch his favourite toy or some other activity he enjoys and lots and lots of praise .Really its all about getting him to associate the truck with fun .

5 months... jumping into a truck? Hope to God he doesn't jump out too? Sore on the joints that.

Anyways, if he's food orientated feed him in the truck but the best suggestion has already been said, stick him in the truck EVERY time before he gets out for a run about. He'll soon learn.

same here, mine get lifted in till at least 9 months preferably a year. Simply what you do now affects how the hips last get it wrong and you have a crippled dog far too early.

You wouldn't wanna lift mine at nine months trust me! The beast is 37kg now ;)

Quite simply to the OP, its getting more out of messing you around than getting up into the truck. You might have been the one who told it up and it failed or twisted itself etc. or the one who took it to the vets. I cannot comment on the health thing, if a dog aint phyically capable to do this at 9mnths it aint gonna be much use to me ( i don't have little dogs for that reason).

Give it some good experiances, give it all its meals up there, sit on the tailgate with it a while and give it a fuss, only take it to fun places for a while with short trips.

i think rather than wait to see if 'this time' is going to be a problem, pop the lead on whilst in the house, then take the pup outside open the tailgate and lift him in, give him a quick treat and a good dog, close the door and take him short drive to go for a run at the end of the run wtih lead on lift back in the truck quick treat and good dog, close tailgate and take him home, or to another area for another run.

this way he will be rewarded for being in the truck but with no fuss so he can just accept it that it is going to happen

and also you are not rewarding the negative behavour or getting stressed yourself.

may be worth reducing the space he has in he back with a crate etc as it may be he is being unstable around corners or stop starts.

jan

I cannot comment on the health thing, if a dog aint phyically capable to do this at 9mnths it aint gonna be much use to me ( i don't have little dogs for that reason).

It has nothing at all to do with being capable or not its jumping up and down before the joints have fully formed does damage that won't appear for years but can lead to premature wear on hips. More of an issue on some dogs than others the bigger the dog the worse the issue as most proper dog owners know. 5 months is well within the worst time to be doing it, mine come a year could get in the back of my L200 without the tailgate down not something I was overly happy with but she does quite like riding in it.

I just want to clear one thing up, when i refer to truck what i really is the front of my mercedes vito van, a step of 12" at the most. I'm well aware of the damage of getting a young dog to jump/land puting strain on joints that can lead to compression strains. I should have put this in my opening post but at the thought of sounding like a townie (although i am a farmers son) i used truck. Rant over.

I'm now putting the lead on him right the way to the van and rewarding him with a treat, and also a treat after 5 more minutes in the van. I'm think if i offer him maybe a better kind of treat or meat based one i can appear to his stomach, well thats how the mrs trained me.

Thanks for all replies so far, any more much appreciated

Get in before him, and then entice him in - get your missus to hold him on the lead while you go round the other side. when in there, have a bit of rough and tumble with him, and maybe curl up and have a 5 minute nap too. This is what I do with mine whenever she goes in a new car or gets a new bed. I get in there with her, make it fun and nice and comfy and she takes to it no problem :good:

It has nothing at all to do with being capable or not its jumping up and down before the joints have fully formed does damage that won't appear for years but can lead to premature wear on hips. More of an issue on some dogs than others the bigger the dog the worse the issue as most proper dog owners know. 5 months is well within the worst time to be doing it, mine come a year could get in the back of my L200 without the tailgate down not something I was overly happy with but she does quite like riding in it.

Note, i quoted the later mentioned 9mnth.