Concrete vs rain

JonD

Hi All,

I have mixed and poured the remaining half ton of concrete for my garden wall footing today after getting rained off yesterday.

It's about 9M x 9" x 6" deep, about an hour after the final pour we had a heavy shower then dried again, then rain again. Is there any issue with leaving it uncovered as i don't have anything to cover it? The mix is a 4:1 and not wet, just enough water as I didn't want to weaken the mix.

Cheers,

Jon.

Hi All,

I have mixed and poured the remaining half ton of concrete for my garden wall footing today after getting rained off yesterday.

It's about 9M x 9" x 6" deep, about an hour after the final pour we had a heavy shower then dried again, then rain again. Is there any issue with leaving it uncovered as i don't have anything to cover it? The mix is a 4:1 and not wet, just enough water as I didn't want to weaken the mix.

Cheers,

Jon.

hi there ,shoudnt be a problem at 4to 1even if it pours down :good:

fella its a footing only thing to worry bout is deep frost . happy days

Cheers, this is my first building project, have recieved lots of help and advice from guys on here and lot's of reading but didn't know if the rain could be a problem.

Thanks for the reassurance :)

Jon.

Hi All,

Cheers,

Jon.

dont worry about it it will set before you no it and it takes a lot of rain the damage it...

It will help with curing the concrete, to adversely affect the water cement ratio you would have to use some mechanical force such as troweling the surface whilst the surface water was still present and the concrete less than a few hours old. You might get a bit of cement washed away at the surface making it a bit friable but this will not be a problem for a garden wall footing and only affect the very top surface.

You should always cover your concrete to cure it properly, if it’s not covered and dries out too quickly it will suffer a significant loss in strength as well as cracking or curling, curing also helps with resistance to freeze and thaw damage.

So you should cure your concrete for several days, but as a garden wall footing the ground will keep it damp (no DPM) and the evaporating surface is small compared to the large evaporating surface of a concrete driveway or floor so you should be ok.

:good:

It will help with curing the concrete, to adversely affect the water cement ratio you would have to use some mechanical force such as troweling the surface whilst the surface water was still present and the concrete less than a few hours old. You might get a bit of cement washed away at the surface making it a bit friable but this will not be a problem for a garden wall footing and only affect the very top surface.

You should always cover your concrete to cure it properly, if it’s not covered and dries out too quickly it will suffer a significant loss in strength as well as cracking or curling, curing also helps with resistance to freeze and thaw damage.

So you should cure your concrete for several days, but as a garden wall footing the ground will keep it damp (no DPM) and the evaporating surface is small compared to the large evaporating surface of a concrete driveway or floor so you should be ok.

:good:

Fortunately we didn't have as much rain as expected and it looks fine, I have now picked up a tarp and covered it, won't be doing any more on the project until the weekend :)

Jon.

Concrete sets under water!

Jon,as above :rolleyes: it will cure under water and may even be stronger if you mixed it to dry the water will help,dont worry about it mate,its only a footing and not a finished driveway,i have worked in plenty of footings that had to be pumped out first :lol:

Adding to much water to the mix when pouring is what makes it weak.