finally a bag to be proud of!

southeastpete

sorry for any bad punctuation or spelling but im on my phone, as i dont have real internet here.

I had today off so i got the lawn mown and dog walked this morning, and decided to head out shooting. I went by a few fields, not much about, got 3 though, and 2 squirrels. So i drove a few miles to some other fields. They had been rape stubble, but had been rolled. Again not much moving, so down the lane. I put up several pigeons from another field, again just rolled mud. On the way back round, a few more left the trees in the same place. They had been quite far out in the field, so i wasnt sure they'd decoy in close. I didnt want to set up all my kit, so i grabbed 6 shells and my hypaflap bouncer, and just sat still next to hedge no net, no gloves or facemask. It was about 3 when i set up, with a box of shells, maybe just over. I figured if they were coming in enough for me to run out, i'd go to car for more shells, hide nets etc. I soon had them flying in, i had a kind of apostrophe shape pattern with a gap between me and the tail of the apostrophe. I was sat back to a hedgerow with several large trees. Wind right to left. I soon lost count, and ran out of shells. But they were still coming in hard. I found 3 32g bb loads in my top pocket i keep on hand for foxes, and used those too. Boy do they fold up a pigeon. Ran back to car and grabbed another two boxes of shells. Didnt bother with hide net or more decoys. I had several dead birds now in the pattern and a small pile at my feet, next to a pile of empty carts. I got through those two boxes of shells by about 6. They were often coming in hugging the hedgeline to my right, pointed in by hypaflap bouncer 30 yards out from pattern. Then at last minute they'd veer out to land amongst pattern. Gave some great fast close shooting, as pressed in among hedge trying to hide my face, i'd lose sight of them until they appeared 20 feet out 20 feet up, going fast. Alot would come flying down the field, at right angles to the hedge/treeline i was in, about level with the bouncer, then swerve in inline with it toward pattern. When i got these before they turned into wind, they really came in hard into the brambles. I got one out from 3 ft of pricklies. Lost a few though. At points i got 2 with one barrel. Sometimes missed one bird with both. But plenty of left and rights though, just wish i had a section 1 semi. I picked up 44, one being a feral, for about 80 shells. Spent about 3 hours crouched in the hedge, v sweaty. I managed to give 28 away to friends, so i have to get up early to crown 15 birds before work! I have a bad leg which will be sore tomorrow now, i'll prob be qiute tired too, but so worth it. Best day yet. Many thanks to cranfield for great assistance and advice, way more then i would ever have expected. I'll try and post pics on tues, when im at a real computer. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

sorry for any bad punctuation or spelling but im on my phone, as i dont have real internet here.

I had today off so i got the lawn mown and dog walked this morning, and decided to head out shooting. I went by a few fields, not much about, got 3 though, and 2 squirrels. So i drove a few miles to some other fields. They had been rape stubble, but had been rolled. Again not much moving, so down the lane. I put up several pigeons from another field, again just rolled mud. On the way back round, a few more left the trees in the same place. They had been quite far out in the field, so i wasnt sure they'd decoy in close. I didnt want to set up all my kit, so i grabbed 6 shells and my hypaflap bouncer, and just sat still next to hedge no net, no gloves or facemask. It was about 3 when i set up, with a box of shells, maybe just over. I figured if they were coming in enough for me to run out, i'd go to car for more shells, hide nets etc. I soon had them flying in, i had a kind of apostrophe shape pattern with a gap between me and the tail of the apostrophe. I was sat back to a hedgerow with several large trees. Wind right to left. I soon lost count, and ran out of shells. But they were still coming in hard. I found 3 32g bb loads in my top pocket i keep on hand for foxes, and used those too. Boy do they fold up a pigeon. Ran back to car and grabbed another two boxes of shells. Didnt bother with hide net or more decoys. I had several dead birds now in the pattern and a small pile at my feet, next to a pile of empty carts. I got through those two boxes of shells by about 6. They were often coming in hugging the hedgeline to my right, pointed in by hypaflap bouncer 30 yards out from pattern. Then at last minute they'd veer out to land amongst pattern. Gave some great fast close shooting, as pressed in among hedge trying to hide my face, i'd lose sight of them until they appeared 20 feet out 20 feet up, going fast. Alot would come flying down the field, at right angles to the hedge/treeline i was in, about level with the bouncer, then swerve in inline with it toward pattern. When i got these before they turned into wind, they really came in hard into the brambles. I got one out from 3 ft of pricklies. Lost a few though. At points i got 2 with one barrel. Sometimes missed one bird with both. But plenty of left and rights though, just wish i had a section 1 semi. I picked up 44, one being a feral, for about 80 shells. Spent about 3 hours crouched in the hedge, v sweaty. I managed to give 28 away to friends, so i have to get up early to crown 15 birds before work! I have a bad leg which will be sore tomorrow now, i'll prob be qiute tired too, but so worth it. Best day yet. Many thanks to cranfield for great assistance and advice, way more then i would ever have expected. I'll try and post pics on tues, when im at a real computer. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Well done mate, I found that sometimes they just don't see you/ignore you and come straight in - they did for me yesterday. When they get close they seem to be just focusing on the decoys and less so on anything else, but when they are far off any slight movement will scare them off.