Trail Cameras to catch a poacher

Kes

I am making some progress on identifying a number of people who, over the past 4 years, have nearly made it impossible to run our shoot. These are our local poachers, dog men etc. The odd bird isnt a problem but its large scale and the disturbance is unmangeable as we abut no other shoots.

Having been out and about, a lot, I have seen their signs, know when they venture out and am close to identifying the majority of the routes they take. I notice that one at least has left his 'swag' to collect later.

Hence I need a trail camera to help me complete this picture and provide some detailed, maybe facial evidence.

Can anyone who has used these things make a recommendation? Costs seem to vary considerably. I dont want a flash, it has to be IR for obvious reasons. Small and concealable, reasonably long battery life. Perhaps remote image storage? It will likely be placed in woodland but could be woodland fringe.

Any help or advice would be v much appreciated.

Thanks

Needs to take pics without a flash otherwise your camera will also disappear. Surprised you cant catch them, suggest going out at 3am instead of going to bed at 2am. Say nothing to anyone, someone knows when you are about and may well be relaying that info. Talk to your local wildlife Police officer and brief him/her as to the situation as ask for a bit of help. You wont get any but when you call at 4am with poachers on the ground then at least you have got the basis of a relationship formed with the Police.

A

We've used one.

You can set them to use IR and no flash and to only record on movement. All for around the £100 mark.

However, the challenge is to get them close enough to record faces good enough to be considered evidence without being spotted and vandalised.

An ivy covered tree might help but bear in mind that any leaves with sensor range that flap about in the wind will trigger a picture.

Also, try to ensure a light background because they record in B&W and dark on black doesn't give you much to go on.

Take the time to play with it first so that you thoroughly understand what they can and cant do.

i have been thinking about this for a while as we had a fair bit of poaching during the last recession in a former mining area, i am leaning towards folding a bit of sheet steel to hold a pay as you go mobile with a dowel operated by an alarm mine type spring to ring me when a trip wire is tripped, rigged up to the electric fence batteries via a modified car charger to maintain charge, if it works as i think it should, we dont have deer here, it could be useful and fairly cheap to setup and i could be there within a few minutes,just an idea at the minute but i think i can make it work, i will knock up a prototype in the next few weeks

i have been thinking about this for a while as we had a fair bit of poaching during the last recession in a former mining area, i am leaning towards folding a bit of sheet steel to hold a pay as you go mobile with a dowel operated by an alarm mine type spring to ring me when a trip wire is tripped, rigged up to the electric fence batteries via a modified car charger to maintain charge, if it works as i think it should, we dont have deer here, it could be useful and fairly cheap to setup and i could be there within a few minutes,just an idea at the minute but i think i can make it work, i will knock up a prototype in the next few weeks

As with some of the above, we need pictures (of the set-ups not neccisarily of the poachers).

That sounds complicated, you can already get auto dialers that use a sim card, will dial up to ten numbers and send txt messages, i know i have one in the unit, runs off a 12volt alarm battery and is activated by the alarm (breaking a circuit) so would be so much easier to set up ;)

a thought - use a kitchen timer ( CLOCKWORK = el-cheepo market stall) - with a simple trip method - they will like as not run like hellsbells - so if your clock goes off or gets damaged, so what -- THEY KNOW YOU KNOW !!!!

2nd thought - most arrive by car - which drive under street lights - somewhere ?? - to get to your 'country lane' ?? - as above - sit in yours - and wait

3rd thought - take up a BIG camera + flash / + camo gear and take wildlife photos - they may even stop to chat to you about it - strangely - most 'wrong doers' as thick enough to do that !

good luck

Thanks guys for all the responses so far - I really like the auto dialler idea amd will look into that. I have seen the one bloke again and, assisting our Wildlife Police Officer we are close to 'bagging' him. It is really good to have our policeman actively leading the hunt with us supplying any and all info we can, I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get this kind of support.

That sounds complicated, you can already get auto dialers that use a sim card, will dial up to ten numbers and send txt messages, i know i have one in the unit, runs off a 12volt alarm battery and is activated by the alarm (breaking a circuit) so would be so much easier to set up ;)

a gsm autodialer is about 70 quid, they are mostly pir operated anyways, absolutely the job for a shed or unit but not as portable or as cheap as what i have in mind and pir will not be as reliable in woodland with leaves blowing about as plain old trip wire,i reckon on about 15-20 quid per setup