Firearms 17.hmr

Ferretboy111

:blush: My firearms woman came around today, she was amazing got everything sorted out, she checked my land and my house etc so my 17hmr should be on the way withing 4-6 weeks as she said they had a back log. Am going to harris's to have a check at the cz varmint just hope it aint too heavy n looks nice.

Oh forgot to say that it has been accepted for fox and all other vermin.

Alex

Edited by Ferretboy111

Well done FB its a cracking round indeed. I'm sure you've read the numerous posts about it recently, if njot have a delve.

It is by far the best rimfire round and delivers some awsome results. Not to mention being useable for anything from a Crow to a Fox. The constabluries are also starting to realise that with V-Max it is also safer than a .22LR, so land clearance shouldnt be aproblem either. Its only downside is being affected by wind.

Dave, I just picked 100 Remmington's in 17gr V-Max and they cost 8.50 a brick. If it gets cheaper than that, I wont be complaining. I don't think it will though.

Crickeys that is cheap, its 10.50 for 50 around my area, i do like the look of the hornady 17hmr ammo. Cant wait now to get it through n have a good old lamping session, my aim is not to miss any and have all head shots, lol :) ill be lucky, i have a hawke airmax 4-12*44 rifle with mil dot aready, am going to buy probably the cz varmint with an ultra silencer on it as they said they are the best to get.

Alex :blush:

Good on you you'll love it.

I've loved every second with mine, my shooting partner has taken to leaving his .22 at home on lamping sessions as he never gets to use it :blush:

The wind issue is not major all it means is you have to limit your range when its windy or learn to account for it. After all if you limit your range to 80 yards you're still at a range thats stretching a .22LR. As for the fox argument well I can remember arguments with people saying under 100yards was fine to go at with a .22LR and the HMR hits an awful lot harder at that range than the .22

Alex, get in and have a good haggle, thats what I did. They wanted to charge me 12.50 originally. To date I have tried just two different makes, the Remmingtons as mentioned and Federal Cartridge 17gr V-Shock. The Federals are superb and seem to be very consistent. I am told that the Remmingtons are made by Hornady and certainly seem to work well. I have had one missfire with them.

I havent tried the CCI's out of principal and never will, its a long story that involves GMK. :blush: But mainly based on the CCI .22LR inaccuracy.

As for the mod, well you cant go wrong with the Utra, it is considered to be the best fro the .17HMR. However, if you are on a budget, don't overlook the SAK which is half the cost. We field tested my Quad with Sak against a Ruger and a Pez, the results were surprising. Though there was a significant difference in the pitch of the sound between the two rifles, there was actually no difference in the volume. Both mods seemed to perform equally well. Speaking to various gunsmiths, I am told the Utra reduces the report by an additional 10%, which is pretty good going considering.

Let us know how you get on. :)

Just had a ring around my local gunshops and they have alot of cz varmints but no americans and one has a savage sinthetic stock for 285. whats the benefits of the 16" barrel on the varmint compared to the usual size? The savage is as light as anything but it will cost me 20 odd quid to drive up to pick it up from skegness. so im torn now between the cz varmint and the savage.

Alex

I read up on the differences a shorter barrel would make to the .17HMR on varmintal and the it was a damn good read. The optimum barrel for the round is 21 inches so thats what I bought. A shorter barrel in 16 can remove as much 150fps from the speed of the round. My Quad is short anyway, so having a shorter barrel makes no difference. If your using it mainly in the field and not in a cab, then you'll not need to worry either. The report will also be slightly louder the shorter you go.

I read up on the differences a shorter barrel would make to the .17HMR on varmintal and the it was a damn good read. The optimum barrel for the round is 21 inches so thats what I bought. A shorter barrel in 16 can remove as much 150fps from the speed of the round. My Quad is short anyway, so having a shorter barrel makes no difference. If your using it mainly in the field and not in a cab, then you'll not need to worry either. The report will also be slightly louder the shorter you go.

I've had the barrel shortened on my quad to 17.5" and it is spot on.

Hornady round here is £7 when i can get them

I am in the market for a .17hmr as well,my choice is a cz452Varmint with a 21'' barrel,My local gunsmiths advised the cz over the savage as the trigger is only £12 for an upgrade (Brookes I think) The savage ;alledgedly has a **** trigger and cost about £80 to fix.

I cannot speak with authority on this however ,that is the advice I recieved.Savage is also dearer.

I have the savage BVSS and the standard trigger is way better than a cz, even after the trigger kit is fitted to the cz, I know, I have had both! It is adjustable for both weight and sear engagement and gives a crisp 2lb pull with no creep.

Right ive decided and ordered the Savage synthetic stock rifle, just because its light and within my price bracket. Its a nice rifle aswel unsure of what model it is though however believe its prob the 93r17-f or not! havent a clue, but it was a nice gun when i looked at it the other day at a show! All i need to do now is to raise around £320 so i can get it, :good: ill never make it by middle of june.

Alex

Right ive decided and ordered the Savage synthetic stock rifle, just because its light and within my price bracket. Its a nice rifle aswel unsure of what model it is though however believe its prob the 93r17-f or not! havent a clue, but it was a nice gun when i looked at it the other day at a show! All i need to do now is to raise around £320 so i can get it, :yp: ill never make it by middle of june.

Alex

I find with these cheap American rifles that they are in dire need of being finished off with a bit of fine tuning here and there with graphite powder and emery cloth .The heavy trigger pull is standard due to a get rich quick litigation society and US rifle makers are quick to cotton on with supplying trigger upgrades at cost :o .............Most Europeon manufacturers supply a rifle with simple trigger adjustment and without the demeaning engraving on top of the barrel telling the operator to read the instruction manuel first :blink:Although the same could be said of the new Anshulzts :huh::huh: :o

The savage are a nice looking rifle and I hope you get plenty of trouble free performance out of it :good: