.17 remington fireball problems

Hello all the bloke i shoot with has a .17 fireball which he is having trouble with ,a few weeks ago it was grouping on a 5 pence but lately the groups are very inconsistant they are anywhere from a 5 pence to a inch and a half,he is not a user of pigeon watch and i know little about home loading,but he has home loaded for his 204 ruger for a few years which shoots spot on,so if anyone has any experience with .17 fireballs it would be good to hear from you, thanks chris

You know alot about your mates rifle :lol: It could be a million things barrel crown,barrel touching stock, shooting technique, scopes, maybe he's doing something differant with his reloading, is he consistent with his reloading regime etc,etc etc. Its a process of elimination I'm afraid,just had exactly the same with my remmy 700 243 and homeloads,shoots very well then groups open out. Couldnt work it out until I changed the scope, the eyebox on the scope was faulty and moving about, but it took me ages checking everything over before sorted,even a new stock.

You know alot about your mates rifle :lol: It could be a million things barrel crown,barrel touching stock, shooting technique, scopes, maybe he's doing something differant with his reloading, is he consistent with his reloading regime etc,etc etc. Its a process of elimination I'm afraid,just had exactly the same with my remmy 700 243 and homeloads,shoots very well then groups open out. Couldnt work it out until I changed the scope, the eyebox on the scope was faulty and moving about, but it took me ages checking everything over before sorted,even a new stock.

he has also tried a new accuracy international stock on his to no effect.the bloke is a very good shoot and uses the same reloading techniques,think a last resort will be a new barrel i think

If the gun has only done a few hundred rounds it shouldnt be the barrel unless he's been cleaning with 400gr wet n dry. Still loads to eliminate before expensive barrel change, what scope is on it. Has he bought new powder lately as even same types can vary in burn rate, viht state 10%+- between batches.

Edited by Redgum

nitty gritty details- what twist on the barrel, what loads (powder and bullet) was he shooting that shot well. What loads is he shooting now? What scope is it? What gun is it (brand/model)? How does he clean it? Has the rifle been dropped or jarred in any way? When did he change the stock and why? How was the accuracy before he changed?

Lots of things not specific to the 17FB, but then a few that could be. Also, what part of the country are you/he in? Maybe someone nearby to diagnose.

Thanks,

Rick

If all else fails, then tuck a piece of leather or anything else between the end of the fore end and the barrel so that it has a snug fit . This trick will nearly always tighten a group up, contrary to common belief . Some times a barrel can harmonize to much . I have a .308 with a lead washer underneath the barrel and touching the forend . This little trick tightend my group from one and a half inches at 100 yards to close on half an inch at 100 yards .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

I am with Redgum,Garyb and YDP on this. It could be a lot of things and one thing I am sure about is that PROPER cleaning technique is critical with fast steppers like the Fireball. I have heard of some that think a couple passes with Hoppes takes all the copper out. Dream on!! I would have someone scope the barrel before even thinking about replacing it. It could be dirty and need a little JB paste. Remember the rifling on the .17 is only .0015 compared to .003 for the .22 centerfires.It doesn't take much to foul it, and factory barrels aren't famous for their interior lapping.

The first thing I would do is stick a proven scope on the gun and shoot it on the bench. You have just either confirmed or ruled out my first suspicion. A lot number change in powder can affect velocity but unless he's way off the edge on harmonics it should not affect accuracy that much.

One last thought, does he shoot it off the bench much or just hunt with it? You can take the throat out of a .17 in a warm afternoon of constant firing without regard to barrel temp. When the throat leaves the accuracy usually follows it.

If all else fails, then tuck a piece of leather or anything else between the end of the fore end and the barrel so that it has a snug fit . This trick will nearly always tighten a group up, contrary to common belief . Some times a barrel can harmonize to much . I have a .308 with a lead washer underneath the barrel and touching the forend . This little trick tightend my group from one and a half inches at 100 yards to close on half an inch at 100 yards .

Harnser .

I guess I continue to learn, I had never heard of over harmonizing a barrel before. Some actions Mausers in particular do not like floated tubes as their action stiffness is inherently weak from the huge cutout and small action bedding area. They indeed need some upward thrust on the barrel to relieve the stress on the action. Most guns I deal with shoot best with no stock interference and I shoot synthetics to make sure things don't change when the weather does.

I am with Redgum,Garyb and YDP on this. It could be a lot of things and one thing I am sure about is that PROPER cleaning technique is critical with fast steppers like the Fireball. I have heard of some that think a couple passes with Hoppes takes all the copper out. Dream on!! I would have someone scope the barrel before even thinking about replacing it. It could be dirty and need a little JB paste. Remember the rifling on the .17 is only .0015 compared to .003 for the .22 centerfires.It doesn't take much to foul it, and factory barrels aren't famous for their interior lapping.

The first thing I would do is stick a proven scope on the gun and shoot it on the bench. You have just either confirmed or ruled out my first suspicion. A lot number change in powder can affect velocity but unless he's way off the edge on harmonics it should not affect accuracy that much.

One last thought, does he shoot it off the bench much or just hunt with it? You can take the throat out of a .17 in a warm afternoon of constant firing without regard to barrel temp. When the throat leaves the accuracy usually follows it.

Thanks for the advice i will pass it on to him

Harnser .

Sounds like a sticking plaster repair on a gun with poor bedding or bedding area at the action end to me. Some rifles need this pessure pad on the barrel to overcome lack of ridgidity in the action bedding area. Harmonise too much? not to my mind its more a case of its playing a different tune each time due to issues further back