new to air hunting what is the best way too stalk rabbits

ryanl

Slowly from down wind. Keep your eyes on them, and when they notice you, stand completely still until they carry on eating, then continue until you are within a range where you are confident of a clean kill.

It's surprising how close you can get by just watching them and make sure you don't move while they're watching you.

Slowly from down wind. Keep your eyes on them, and when they notice you, stand completely still until they carry on eating, then continue until you are within a range where you are confident of a clean kill.

It's surprising how close you can get by just watching them and make sure you don't move while they're watching you.

Couldn't of said it better!!!

as above i find it more affective to lie up on a warren/feeding area i use a hide camo net chucked over me in a sitting position with a silennced pcp i useally get 2 or 3 at a time there are some situations i stalk but most of the land i shoot is almost impossible to stalk very little cover i useally use a shotgun and just walk up on them or lamp them

It's a bit more challenging, but for me more rewarding. Springers are noisier but I've found that even before I replaced the spring in mine rabbits would sometimes sit tight even though their buddy next door had just been given the good news! I'm very glad I chose a springer for my first air rifle and I think the experience you gain could put you in good stead should you change to a PCP in the future.

This might make interesting reading:

Brocock Concept

"Making the move from spring power to a precharged air rifle is a big step. Shooting a PCP is a world away from shooting a springer. For a start a PCP is virtually recoilless compared with the savage recoil of a spring piston rifle. Many spring gun shooters who try a PCP for the first time are amazed at how accurate they are with a PCP.

But a common misconception is that PCPs are more accurate than conventional spring guns. Both are as accurate as each other; the only thing that affects accuracy of the springer is the shooter. That’s because it is more difficult to hold a springer steady with all its recoil than it is to hold a virtually recoilless PCP on target. Arguably shooting a springer keeps your shooting disciplined because you have to really follow your shot through and hold the rifle correctly to be accurate.

But it’s more than just the different shooting characteristics that makes moving from a springer to a PCP such a big step. The price of a precharged outweighs all but the most expensive springers.

On top of this you have to buy a stirrup pump or diving bottle and this can be cost an arm, leg and a head. But before I put people off buying a PCP let me explain that there is a rifle out there that is in the reach of most people’s pockets, which can make changing from springer to PCP that little less painful.

Please note that I said ‘changing’ rather than ‘upgrading’ from springer to PCP. I don’t want anyone to that I think springers are a lesser form of airgun. As I’ve said before there’s always room for a springer in my gun cabinet. Springer help keep your shooting disciplined, so I would always recommend returning to a springer now and then to remind you about follow through and holding the rifle correctly."

to get a idea of how little some rabbits are not very bothered about there mates getting killed have a look in the video/pic section watch the rabbits just carry on feeding as there mate gets hunted down by a stoat

with a springer its a little harder to get another shot of but at full distance with good cover not impossible have a go at lamping if you want easy pickings good confidence boost if nothing else

only on rats these days but i do love them i shot 100s rabbits with one, some big bags aswell up there with the rifle lads ,back then i had loads of land i could shoot so just took a rabbit or two from each area then went around again land i have rabbits on now is know where as populated very little cover for stalking, long distance or shotgun little bit out of safe distance for a airgun :good: