.17 mach 2

flash

i was wandering if anyone on the forum has had any experience of the mach 2, what is it like for bunnies, what range , and is it upto shooting close range foxes.

cheers

flash

Id say the 17 hmr would be a better choice. :good:

i would agree

its supersonic and rimfire, so you may as well get a 17 hmr if you want a flat flying supersonic rimfire.

Not to mention the .17 mach2 fires very light bullets, and i would seriously doubt they would be suitable for fox. i Also understand that its not much good for anything past 100yards (which is only a few yards over typical .22lr range) and i would imagine ammo is a pain to find.

Flash

i cant really see the point in going for the mach2 you cant silence it like 22 subs its not got the poke of the HMR but still has the crack. whats the point :good:? :good:

Go for the HMR i am 100% sure you wont be dissapointed. you will soon be taking head shot rabbits out at 135yds as i did the other day

cool, after the what you have saidi think we have narrowed it down to the .17 HMR and the .223, it would be for rabbits and foxes, so i think the .17 is the choice we will take.

now what rifle to get :good:

cheers

flash

i think that is probably the choice, as we already have tow CZs (511 .22 semi auto, and 550 .243) and these are accurate, comfortable and reliable so that is probably the choice. or maybe an anschutz.

cheers

flash

Not to mention the .17 mach2 fires very light bullets, and i would seriously doubt they would be suitable for fox.

Nick, the mach2 fires exactly the same weight of bullet as the .17hmr.

The only difference is the power; The.17hmr is based on a necked-down .22wmr whilst the .17 Mach2 is based on a necked-down .22rf.

The .17hmr does 2550fps whilst the .17 Mach2 does 2100fps.

Both will kill a fox but the .17hmr will do it much easier.

G.M.

I heard the Mach 2's have very poor accuracy.. I certainly wouldnt use them for fox! let alone long range bunnies like the HMR can handle. Infact I dont even know why they still sell Mach 2. Everyone says its junk..

A nice .22 LR rimfire would do far better.

we already have a nice bunny bashing .22 but want one a step up from it for long range bunny and fox, as the next up from the .22 in our cabinet is a .243 which is bigger then needed. i think it wil either be a CZ or anschutz.

cheers

flash

Well if its long range fox, you will need .222/223 as the HMR wont be suitable for a big fox at long range unless you really know what you are doing and can put the tiny bullet where it must go. but then again you will find it hard to get 'Vermin' on the licence for the above calibres if you already have a .22 bunny basher..

.17 HMR is the way to go, but dont get tempted to use it for too long range against fox as if you are unlucky, will end up with a wounded fox.

If you can get hold of Axe, he's the one to talk to about HMR im sure..

One other thing to remember about the little.17hmr is the wind.

If you are tempted to try for a 100yd head shot on a fox in fairly stiff breeze, then you could end up slicing a shot down the side of its head and causing a nasty wound. :good:

That little bullet moves a hell of a lot in the wind. :good:

G.M.

One other thing to remember about the little.17hmr is the wind.

If you are tempted to try for a 100yd head shot on a fox in fairly stiff breeze, then you could end up slicing a shot down the side of its head and causing a nasty wound. :lol:

That little bullet moves a hell of a lot in the wind. :good:

G.M.

So iv heard. :good:

ruger...... buy it for quite alot of money with a rough trigger, spend alot of money having a quality unit installed and even then not all of them shoot straight. granted you buy a cz knowing that the stock rubs down the r/h side and the trigger needs a kit to fix it, however the total cost of this is about £15.

i have known one chap who had a 17hmr ruger of some sort (i dont keep up to date with the ruger range so im not sure which one) it wouldnt shoot out of the box, so he had a trigger kit fitted, it wouldnt shoot, so he left it with foultons (bisley) to work their magic, it came back, fully bedded, tweaked, it had had everything that could be done to improove accuracy done to it. It still couldnt shoot straight. The chap sold it at great loss and bought a sako quad.

granted ruger must be doing something right, the 10/22 is an amazingly popular gun, but its not for me, and i wont recomend one to anyone. (the same way fister wont recomend a cz to anyone)

I have to agree with you nick :yp:

I was very dissapointed with mine when i first had it mind you the first shots were'nt too bad the groups were about 1 1/2 - 2 inches at 100yds but i put that down to new experience. I did get some groups that were better about 1 inch but not consistant. But after a bit of tweeking floating the barrel and better trigger got it down to about 3/4 at 100yds. as you say out of the box for over £500 you would expect it to shoot better.

But hey its good now so must be one of the lucky ones.

And I DID HIT A DRAWING PIN AT 100yds

Looked like a .308 size hole :lol: :yp:

that was the drawing pin that got shoved through the back stop that made that hole. ???

rite am going to have a look in a minute see if i can find it :yp:

Looked like a .308 size hole :lol: :yp:

that was the drawing pin that got shoved through the back stop that made that hole. :D

rite am going to have a look in a minute see if i can find it :yp:

**** ??????;):D

im waiting for the pic dougy, im not saying its impossible i just wanna see :yp:

cheers

flash

sorry give me a few minutes got side tracked been trying to find out about a crossman 140 chap at works given it to me to try and mend. wont hold pressure. after an exploded diagram.