Air Arms S410, problems filling from a divers tank

sye10

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has experienced this problem and how they've got around it.

I've owned my S410 for around 6 months now and I keep receiving the same problem where when refilling from my divers tank the pressure gauge goes round to about 230 bar and then stays there and doesn't actually add any air into the cylinder.

This problem first started on about the 5th or 6th fill from new and from a brand new tank, so i proceeded to add some oil to the section on the gun where the adapter marries up to the cylinder and lets in the air, which seemed to work for another 10 fills or so. This problem has raised again and is now becoming rather frustrating and wondered if I'm actually doing something fundamentally wrong or if a new or different process could be used to avoid this from happening. I'm also conscious of using oil as it may penetrate into the reservoir and cause additional problems.

Any suggestions?

STOP!

You don't say what pressure your dive cylinder is filled to but if it is a 232 bar one then that is why you won't get any more pressure out of it, BUT according to Air Arms, 190 bar maximum for an S410..you won't gain anything by filling any higher, in fact it will shoot innaccurately and with less power,...and you could damage your gun. I hope you are also filling it slowly not just whacking the valve fully open. If you have I would suggest you get it looked at by a gunsmith as you may have a bulge or distortion in the gun's air reservoir which could weaken it.

And I wouldnt bother putting oil in it, you won't gain anything and again gun damage could result.

Take the gun to a dealer, tell them it might be overpressured. At the moment it's a bomb, do not attempt to fix it yourself.

You might think it's empty, but it could be filled so high it won't shoot because the hammer isn't strong enough to open the valve against the air pressure. Don't put any oil on the fill connectors again.

I'm a diver who also has an AA S410. It's fitted with a Ben Taylor regulator.

I agree with comments about limiting pressure to 190 bar and the use of oil.

One way of accurately filling from a dive cylinder and not relying on the rifle's gauge (which are notoriously inaccurate anyway!) is to fit and inline preesure / contents gauge into your decanting whip. This will show you the increasing contents of the AA S410 resevoir as you are gradually filling.This was my solution and it works well.

Bob

Edited by Bobba

Thanks for all your comments and concerns.

To clarify, what I found is that the pressure shots round and then reverts to the actual pressure in the gun then starts filling to the desired pressure which I thought was normal? I have only ever filled the pressure to 190 and actually found that the accuracy is better at 175, which is where I now fill to.

I don't think the cylinder is over pressured as when running down the air further it engages quicker from the tank capacity then starts filling, with a loud squeaking noise and assumed this may have been alignment of the adapter and gun.

The question originally was and is to identify whether this is normal in what I'm experiencing by the gauge shooting round to 230 and staying there not letting any more air into the cylinder when the gun is indicating around 100 bar (which is normally on the tank gauge around 90).

The tank itself is a 7lt 300 bar tank and I assumed that with constant fills the pressure level had dropped to 230.

I think the gun needs to go back and be looked at under warranty maybe.

You have had good advice and are doing everything correctly,ie filling using the bottle guage and very slowly to a max of 190 bar anything after that is just a waste of air and below a 100 bar.

Have you joined 'air arms owners club' :hmm: